Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Dahlonega, garden help

Posted by CallieK 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 12:06

Hi y'all, this will probably be long winded, I apologize...

My husband and I purchased our house and moved in January to our lovely Dahlonega home. I noticed two sectioned off areas, in the one spot that actually gets some sun in our wooded lawn. I knew this was for gardening immediately! After talking to some neighbors that have been here for quite some time, we found they were never planted in, so the prep began. We started with weeding, then adding some lyme, and garden soil to the extremely rocky clay. We only did this in the first bed at first. It seemed ok, so the planting began after our long winter. Tomatoes, jalapenos, hot banana peppers, and all 3 types of bell peppers, along with eggplant, yellow squash and zucchini. I've had very good luck growing all these prior, when we lived in Alpharetta, with a pre-prepared garden plot, but here, no luck. I had a very limited amount of tomatoes come up, (thanks to hornworms), and all the rest of my plants were VERY small... only 1 banana pepper and 1 jalapeno appeared. These were healthy plants purchased from a nursery, and I've always used them before, just trying to figure out what happened! Rabbits were nibbling on the flowers of the squash of course, the eggplant flowered once, but never produced. And it was simply disastrous all around. That being said, I'm trying to figure out what I can do to prepare for winter, and hoping for a much better crop yield for next year...

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Dahlonega, garden help

Some sun? Tomatoes and peppers need at least 6-8 hours to thrive, are they getting that much? Other than that, maybe you should consider a raised bed.

I love Dahlonega, I'm just down the road near Athens.

o
RE: New to Dahlonega, garden help

yes, they get at least 6-8 hours... I'm fighting the bugs and the pests, (deer, rabbits, squirrels...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here