Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Pictures from today

It is hot and humid but my plants are doing well.

We've lost a lot of grass (again!) from brown patch but I'm pleased with how my new beds are doing.

My new favorite plant is snapdragons! I've always thought they were a cool weather plant but they are still blooming strong with lots of new buds. I planted them last fall.

Comments (13)

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

That is GORGEOUS! I love the chyrsanthemums and the salvia, and your dianthus looks so lovely. I do not get dianthus rebloom, and as a matter of fact, the firewitch just doesn't do all that well for me here. Not nearly as well as Bath's Pink (which is nice, but like you, I love my hot pinks!!).

Beautiful job!

GGG

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I've lost several Bath's pinks and they seem to do the worst for me for some reason. But I have 6 different dianthus g. and the ones in the first picture are pixie star. They are similar to firewitch only better; bigger, taller, bluer.
    Most rebloom if I keep up the deadheading and miracle grow.

I planted another Bath's pink this spring in a different location so hopefully it will live.

• vroomp
    17 years ago

Looks great Bumblebeez! I guess I need to get more plants so I can catch up. Here's just a bit of the border leading down to the pool and greenhouse.
    {{gwi:829150}}

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

Wow, bumblebeez, you have loads of color, yet it is refreshing colors that look cool and inviting. An effective combination of annuals and perennials.

Vroomp, we saw those yellow/burgundy flowers for sale this year, they look kind of like eyeballs! What is the name again? And is that gomphrena? I love that flower, especially the cultivar "Strawberry Fields" (looks like you have that and the purple). Such a good performer.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought those were olives on a stick! But still very pretty!
    I like the gomphrena too. I have it in a pot cascading but it looks really good with the yellows and reds.

• vroomp
    17 years ago

Spilanthes acmella are the "eyeballs or olives on a stick". It is also know as 'Toothache Plant' as it has the ability to numb the gums and teeth when chewed.

I thought it might be cool to put a bunch of plants with similar habits together to see what they would look like. Even the Galliardias develope "eyeballs" when the petals fall off. It's so easy to save seeds from Gomphrenia and they produce flowers and get bigger all summer long. Spilanthes also have a tinge of purple to the new leaves as you see in this pic.
    {{gwi:829151}}

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

I have the spiranthes. We grew them very easily from seed at the church greenhouse. Unfortunately, they got very burned looking early on, and we were worried about them. But they seem to do better with less water and hotter sun. I have them in the veggie beds cascading over the sides. Cool plant! You know you can pull off a piece, root it in water and stick it in the garden and it will just grow!!

I'm getting me some pixie star dianthus. I don't Miracle Grow but I wonder how they'd do on a steady diet of fish fertilizer??

GGG

• rosiew
    17 years ago

Gorgeous, gals. I must have the Spilanthes acmella! Did a quick Google search and couldn't locate seeds. Where can I get some, please? Happy of course to send someone a SASE.

Praying for rain. Just got a few splashes last night.

Rosie in Sugar Hill

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The only natural fertilzer my plants see is from my dogs. Something about the low mat of the dianthus....

But I do use mulch and Hollytone and Rosetone where needed.

• vroomp
    17 years ago

I was able to locate this site with Internet Explorer along with several others. I guess Google is over-rated! The plants are also for sale at a small nursery on Shallowford Road in Marietta called Kelly Green (770) 928-1190. They spread quickly in full sun so, one will end up covering approximately a 3 foot diameter circle in no time. They are not hardy here and are a Zone 10-11 native. I could start a few cuttings if you wish to wait a while for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds for Spilanthes

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

Both of you have gorgeous borders! I'm wondering what both of you do to prepare soil for dianthus and for what looks like salvia in one of the photographs. Vroomp, I love your idea of a summer-blooming border. I've been trying that in my back yard too. Yours is looking fine.

• vroomp
    17 years ago

I find red clay to be an excellent growing medium,

when buried under 6-8 inches
    of Miracle Grow planting soil.

• oconeepotter
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous border! I have fallen in love with snapdragons too and am amazed that they are still blooming in this heat. We went to Callaway this spring ad they had Rocket Mix, which grows really tall, mixed in with foxgloves which are my favrite (one of 1000 favorites). The Rocets did really well in one of my beds so I am thinking of mixing it in with my fox gloves...who are just about done for the year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting