Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annual/Perennial to plant in August

Posted by souppeggy z8GA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 13:39

We presently have our house on the market to sell and need to keep the landscape looking good. My annuals haven't done well in this drought and need to be replaced by something that can handle the sun and drought. However, I still need to keep the landscape looking good in this slow market....WHAT CAN I DO? How do these landscaped shopping centers, office complex's keep their entrance's looking so beautiful through out the four season's? I'm sure they have to replace those plants that just don't make it through the season.
Please give me names of some plants with color that can take planting this time of year.I really do appreciate your idea's on this subject. Thank You

Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annual/Perennial to plant in August

Here in north MS if you can find zinnias, they are great for sun and dry weather, this time of year. Also lantana or pentas. I am also seeing perennial hibiscus (h. moscheta?) the variety called luna in the stores like lowe's or home depot, but it likes moisture so you would have to water it. Of course you should water all new plantings until they are established. You might find dwarf crape myrtles which are perennial. Canna lillies will bloom in summer but like water.
Here in the Tupelo area, where there are seasonal plantings like in front of the mall, they change them out each season. In the spring there are beautiful tulips, I think they have zinnias now or daylillies. Can't remember all seasons, but they do change them out. And they have irrigation built in so they get watered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here