Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

The war is on!

bagsmom
13 years ago

The squirrels have made some openly aggressive moves. They have completely stripped ALL my tomato plants of green tomatoes. They have been digging in the asparagus bed. They hang from the corn stalks like little bats, upside down, nibbling away.

My options are: Never plant edibles again. (Hate the thought of that.) Build a large enclosure of hardware cloth -- like a big screened greenhouse -- and plant inside it. (Expensive and labor intensive.) Start shooting them. I've counted 6 of them outside at one time. (Makes me sad.)

Or -- just go to the farmer's market.

Comments (22)

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

I personally would shoot 'em.
    Quick and effective.

But that's just me.

Dora

• rosiew
    13 years ago

How about a Hav-a-heart trap. Keep baiting it until you don't see any more squirrels. You should drive several miles to release them. Easy-peasy.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Our backyard is all woods. Actually, the back half of everyone's lots on our street are that way. I think they'll just keep coming as long as there is something to eat. Sigh......

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I have a friend that relocates squirrels. New ones just move in ....

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe I should give up on tomatoes and eat the squirrels!

Blech!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I had some customers who used to put dry ears of corn on their back fence and the squirrels liked that better than their tomatoes!

• satellitehead
    13 years ago

@rosie

it is illegal to relocate squirrels (and many other animals) in the state of Georgia without a permit, and the fine is pretty damn stiff if you get caught. i just want to let you know - you're giving out advice that can potentially cost a member reading your post a LOT of money they may not have.

you can kill these rodents in any manner you like - but relocating animals is against the law without proper permits.

these little rodents started attacking my fig saplings last week. they nibbled all the branches off two of the more rare varieties i can't replace until next year, so i'm more than a bit peeved with them again this year. i guess i'll hafta build more caging to protect my stuff again this year. i have a Squirrelinator trap ready to go with the water dunking tank (to drown them once caught), i just haven't exercised the right to start bating, trapping and killing them.

the thing that pisses me off is these little buggers live next to several fruit and nuts trees where they can find an infinite amount of food, but they actively choose to attack my fruit and nut trees (and others) on my deck. yes, this means war in my book.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I just realized that someone (critter, no doubt) ate MY tomatoes too! I had two plants in a pot (that botanicat gave me) and one had about 3 medium sized tomatoes so far. Now they are GONE.

My friend said that some chipmunks got hers ....

• satellitehead
    13 years ago

supposedly they're doing it to get water, and i've heard stories (may be fictional) that simply putting out water near the plants will keep them away. but ... i have no idea how true it is. i'm still pretty hellbent on just killing the rodents rather than hydrating them.

if only i had more snakes in my yard...and on my deck....and in the creek behind my house....and in the trees nearby....

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I don't know - this is a huge pot and it has a huge saucer on it. And that saucer is still full of water from the last big rain (why it hasn't evaporated, I don't know). So there was water right there.

Buggers!

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

At least we are having fun with it -- betwixt and between my tantrums. The squirrels sit in the plants and look at us -- my kids do "evil squirrel" voices:

"You cannot defeat us. We will always win. We are...... NINJA SQUIRRELS."

We have quite a few big hawks in the neighborhood -- I wish I could convince them to set their sights higher and switch from chipmunks and mice to some nice, fat, tomato-fed squirrels!

Oh -- Satellitehead -- I know that real snakes would eat some rodents, but get this..... I have some very scary, realistic rubber snakes I wound through the tomato plants -- attempting to use them as a squirrel deterrent. HA! The rubber snakes are all "dead" now. Some on the ground by the raised beds, some just lying on the dirt under the tomatoes. I think these really ARE ninja squirrels.

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

We used to be overrun with squirrels. Then we got two cats. Seems the squirrels have decided they don't like our place anymore!
    Susan.

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Satellitehead said "@rosie
    it is illegal to relocate squirrels (and many other animals) in the state of Georgia without a permit, and the fine is pretty damn stiff if you get caught. i just want to let you know - you're giving out advice that can potentially cost a member reading your post a LOT of money they may not have.

you can kill these rodents in any manner you like - but relocating animals is against the law without proper permits.
    Well, he's correct. I didn't know that or wouldn't have suggested it. I spoke with the Wildlife Resource dept. at GA DNR. Their number is 770-918-6416. They issue permits, sent by mail at your request.

I'm not positive, but I think you also need permit to kill as well as trap. And you do need permission of property owner to release. I didn't ask if Animal Control will pick up (permitted) trapped animals and humanely euthanize them. Maybe someone will find that out for us.

• satellitehead
    13 years ago

I'll call DNR tomorrow and confirm legal kills and whether permit is required to trap and/or kill, just so we can have a good thread with accurate info. Thanks for following up and posting the number.

I have a close friend that lived in Columbus, GA until 2004, he's the main reason I know about the illegality of relocation. He gave some great advice about which traps to buy, if anyone is interested, I've got an old email sitting around here with the info.

• satellitehead
    13 years ago

(ps - it is illegal to poison squirrels in the state of GA, so my first post wasn't entirely correct either - sorry!)

• roswell_organic
    13 years ago

Hi,

I would try cayenne pepper. I have used it successfully with rabbits and squirrels in our previous house.

I do believe that there is a link to the environment and the food available though, our current house has a large 1/2 acre of woods, and yet the most I have seen is 2 squirrels. They come daily to try to get seed from the bird feeder (squirrel proof) and yet do not bother any of the tomato plants 5 feet away. I do have water for the birds and do see them drinking. Only have been a problem in the fall when they dig in the beds.
    I have seen a fox and coyotes at night, I imagine that those help as well. We do have a pair of hawks, but squirrels are not their favorite. June bugs are :-)

Good luck!

• strudeldog_gw
    13 years ago

Opening myself up to attack from rat/squirrel lovers everywhere, but one pretty simple trap that can work pretty well is to take a deep bucket fill 2/3 to 3/4 with water move to the area then gently pour in sunflower seeds a inch or so thick so the top ones rest on the floating ones. I had better luck placing a 2x2 board on top with a hole cut a bit smaller than the bucket opening then I scatter a few seeds about the board. The seeds should be low enough that the rat has to jump down on the floating seed base and deep enough so that he has to swim, at least for a while. I don't even think a rat can jump out of water.

• User
    13 years ago

In my experience, the cayenne pepper works ONLY if it is applied in a VERY thick layer, not just a sprinkling of it, and has to be replaced after rains. Might work well for someone who only has 1 or 2 of the bushy tailed rats. I also tried the trap described by Strudeldog in hopes of getting rid of an invasion of chipmunks as well as squirrels. They all ignored it. I think that the only way we'll ever be rid of them is if I can talk hubby into not feeding the birds any more...

• tifbee
    13 years ago

Two things I learned when dealing with squirrels, because you can never completely get rid of them:
    1) Get a cat, my kitty keeps the sqirrels, ground mice, and rabbits at bay. He is dewormed as often as recommended and is up to date on all shots. I do worry about him getting injured but he prefers to be outside in the sunshine and I can't stop him from his basic instinct.
    2) Feed the squirrels. It isn't like a dog or cat that will only come to your house after you feed them. They will come and eat as long as there is something edible. Keep growing your garden but provide a food source for the squirrels too. I pile acorns that drop each year in the opposite corner from the garden. When those are gone, I put out ears of corn.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tifbee -- These tips do not work with Ninja Squirrels. :) They eat a big meal of corn, birdseed, and suet, then top it off with a few tomatoes.

We have two neighbor cats that hang out in our yard looking for feathered snacks. The squirrels just give the cats the finger.

They sit in the plants and eat the tomatoes when I am standing right in front of them, saying "WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?" THey aren't even afraid of me!

And they love cayenne pepper. It makes a nice salsa-like flavor.

I think I'll leave them a basket of tortilla chips and some guacamole.

:)

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

I still say use them for target practice.

And save the tortillas and guacamolie for yourself and a giflfriend :)

Dora

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I've been mixing cayenne with sand. A friend mentioned this to me. Then when they go fussing through things they get it on their paws and rub their eyes! I don't know if this would work in your situation though.
    Squirrels are indeed tough. I'm battling chipmunks. A pest control man was here a few weeks ago, he said all poisons for rodents work on all rodents depending on the bait ....

Sponsored