Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irisis

New to the Mountains

Irisis
11 years ago

We just bought a home near Ellijay. I love the area but I am not sure what grows well here. I love gardenias,dogwoods and confederate jasmine, but I have not seen any around here. Presently our yard is what I guess would be called natural. I call it lack of ambition. The back is all wild rhododendrons all the way to the river's edge. Nothing else is planted.

I have lived in Fl for the past 15 yrs so I am sure there is going to be a huge difference in what grows best and what doesn't grow at all. We are on the side of a mountain, so we have a mostly shaded yard. I would appreciate any advice you might wish to give me. Low maintenance is a must!

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

If you have wild azaleas all the way to the river's edge then you must have a very special piece of property! I would certainly encourage you to learn more about the native plants in the area and to landscape with them as well (there are plenty available in the nurseries). If you have deer in the area then you will want to learn what to steer clear of (they love hostas and hydrangeas for example).

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Native Plant Society

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Irisis, welcome to Georgia!

Have you an idea of how utterly beautiful your wild azaleas will be,starting in the Spring? Wow!

Do research the natives as Esh suggests. Hope some of the N. Ga mountain folks join in, telling where they shop up there.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA - not far but a world apart from Ellijay.

• apprenticegardener
    11 years ago

Welcome to our beautiful state. You may want to take a look at the Georgia Native Plant Society website at www.gnps.org for information on the many wonderful natives that grow here. Also be aware that the University of Georgia (Georgia's landgrant) maintains a network of County Extension agents to assist.

As "rosiew" indicated,you will need to see your native azalea blooming to believe their beauty.

Best Wishes--Carl
    Atlanta, Georgia (South of you and a whole lot hotter)

• woody_ga
    11 years ago

Gardenias,dogwoods and confederate jasmine do well in Woodstock. You are a little cooler, but they may work anyway. I will second that native plants work best, and it's worth learning about them.

North Georgia is a great place to garden if you learn how to do it. Here are a couple of points:

1. Sun is an important consideration. Morning sun is gentile - afternoon sun can be brutal.
    2. Generally, you need to add organic material to the soil... generally.
    3. This forum will give you a lot of information.
    4. Check out Walter Reeves. He is also a good resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walter

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Irisis, Walter Reeves' website has lots of good information. He also has a radio show on WSB AM750 and their sister station, FM, don't know the call letters. His garden show is on Saturday mornings, from 6 - 10 a.m. Think you'll learn a lot from listening.

Rosie, Sugar Hill

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting