Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kedco15

Crazy cucumbers and newbie questions

kedco15
11 years ago

Hi -- I'm 15 and this is my second year of attempting a garden. My mom doesn't garden but does have some very limited knowledge from her grandmother, so we are both annoying newbies. So, I apologize if my questions are silly. The first is that my cucumbers, which were growing beautifully if at sometimes a little yellow in the leaves, produced gorgeous round golfballs. They taste like cucumbers, but they stopped growing after about a week and I had these nice, green round things with a little tiny tail on a couple of them.

Some of my other plants this year also produced tiny versions: radishes and carrots. The plants were beautiful, but the "eating" part just never really grew. Don't know if that's related to the other.

I might want to mention, these all were grown in bathtubs outside in mostly full sun. I used an organic potting soil and heirloom seeds.

Last year I only had success with my cantaloupes and even they were only the size of my fist. So it seems as if everything is stunted. I do know that where we live my great-grandmother always said had nematodes. Would that explain the cucumbers and the other problems? Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored