Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

humming birds

bmmalone
14 years ago

we normally have lots of humming birds. this year we had one - about three months ago. Has anyone seen any this year?

Comments (14)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I have plenty. I have the annual red salvia to tempt them plus some of that exotic "shrimp plant".

• jenmat
    14 years ago

I have at least one I see everyday. It likes my cannas, hostas, and butterfly bush. Next year I'm planting salvias.

• buford
    14 years ago

We have a few. They usually start to ramp up late July so we should start to see a lot more soon.

• vicki7
    14 years ago

I have a few here too. They love the salvias, hosta blooms, and lantana. They're so beautiful, I feel privileged when they come to my yard.
    Vicki

• josieoh-05
    14 years ago

Have quite a few, around eight probably. I have a honeysuckle that they love, also some salvias.
    josieoh-05

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

I usually have many and this year I only have one. I have all the perks for them but they just are not here.

• vroomp
    14 years ago

I only seem to have one pair so far but, like Buford's mine don't show til after July 1 and hang around through September. I have added two more feeders to urge a few more to stick around.

• buford
    14 years ago

starting to see more and more each day. Yesterday had 3 swooping around at the same time.

The hummers are breeding first part of the summer and don't really go to the feeders till after that. Now that the juveniles are flying and the parents aren't feeding them, they will be coming to the flowers and the feeders.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

If anyone needs seedlings for the Red Salvia (Salvia coccinea), I have extras. It is one of the native salvias and it is an annual, but it does reseed. So I have babies coming up around where the plant was last year - more babies than I need.

A friend of mine overwintered her seedling last year (in a garage, just where it won't go below 32) and it did fine.

Here's a quick picture of one of mine (just took it and a hummingbird tried to sample while I was there!).

• chao
    14 years ago

Does any one have cross vine planted for humming birds. And what month does it start blooming. Also will red salvia grow good in South Ga. Red

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I think cross vine blooms in April/May. Yes red salvia should do fine in South Georgia - it naturally occurs in Florida.

• bobbygil
    14 years ago

Cross vine does bloom mostly in April n May but then occasionally throughout the summer n fall. Mine is blooming alot right now. I have alot of hummers usually but very rarely do I see them in the crossvine

• bmmalone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I have "found" the humming birds. They are ignoring my feeders and just going straight to the canna lilies. Pity I can't see them from my deck!

• chao
    14 years ago

Bmmalone what variety cannas do the hummingbirds like. Red

Sponsored