Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another pest???

Posted by pansyface z7a GA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 18:56

I have a new pest? It is rooting around in the pine straw in one of the beds in my woodland garden quite aggressively. The circles are the size of a grapefruit. The last time I saw this much disturbance was when I witnessed the damage done by an armadillo in a garden in Eatonton, Ga. I live in Marietta, and as of yet, don't think I have armadillos. I have lived here 28 years and I have never seen this before. The animal is making large circles every where. I think I have raccoons and perhaps an opossum since something is in my bird feeders at night. Of course I have squirrels, chipmunks and moles/voles and I know what damage they do but this is something I have never seen except for the armadillo. Please help id my new garden friend. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another pest???

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 0:27

Are the areas dug up, tunneled under, or is it something bedding down into the straw? Maybe if you could post a picture, it would spark an idea.

o

pansyface -- I have what we call "ninja squirrels." I'm not sure if squirrels are digging in your beds, but ours make digging marks of that size in our pine straw.

I'm in Marietta too -- I was just driving down Dallas Highway and saw a dead armadillo! I've only seen them further south, up to this point. So -- maybe you DO have an armadillo! (And if you live near Kennesaw Mountain, maybe the dead one I saw was the one who was digging in your bed! Wouldn't that be lucky!?) (Not for the armadillo, of course.......)

:)

o
Same Problem here

Pansyface,

I have the exact same problem. Almost every night, the pinestraw beds in my back yard are torn to pieces by this creature. It's really becoming a problem. The holes are exactly as you have described them. I'm west of 41 in Acworth. Did you ever discover what the problem was?
I included wild turkeys in my suspect list, but I have never seen one in the heavy woods behind our house. The squirrels hang out under the feeder all day long, but don't make this kind of disturbance in the straw during the day. I'm baffled and very annoyed.

o

Please watch where you step. This could be something as simple as a feral cat using the leaves as a sandbox and fastidiously covering the letter that he/she posted, circling carefully as he/she tidies up the premises.

Have armadillos actually made it into North Georgia? I know they've been migrating eastward along the I-10 corridor for decades but was unaware they've arrived in Zone 7B. I hope they'll find the Piedmont a hospitable environment.

o

I have those circular areas too and they are made by a skunk during the night digging for grubs and such.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here