Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing dead annuals

Posted by souppeggy z8GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 20:29

Even though we have had enough rain I have lost some annuals that were planted in a grouping. Can I replant at this time of year or do I pull up and plant again. The soil is not very good and I don't have time to amend it so can you think of an annual that will bloom now as the location is near my front door and I'm putting the house on the market to sale next week so I need a nice entrance. I need some quick advise as a novice. I have noticed at shopping areas that plants are added as they start looking bad. Where do they get the mature plants? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing dead annuals

If the area is sunny or partly sunny, go with annual Vinca. They seem to tolerate the heat. They come in white, pink, hot pink and purple - mixed colors makes for a nice effect.

These days at home depot you cannot even buy the 6 pack of annuals (which you wouldn't want to); you need to buy quart sized ones and they still have some of these. You might want to mix in some of those water retention crystals and definitely mulch around the plants to hold the moisture in. Even so, plan to water about every other day as the next 10 days look hot and dry.

Professionals may grow their own replacements, buy directly from the grower or there are a few nurseries that cater to landscapers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 22:41

FYI, the "annual" vinca, which I purchased in white, comes back every year, and it spreads all over and is more full than the year before. I guess it reseeds easily. Just an FYI, if you dont want it to return. but a nice return on your investment, if you do want it back :)

o

• Posted by jmzms z7 Alpharetta, GA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 16:13

What about placing a lawn ornament there? Or a potted plant - as if you were trying to give the effect of height.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here