Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiagirl_gw

How did your tomatoes do this year?

georgiagirl
15 years ago

My husband plants our tomatoes in square foot gardens, and we always have a nice harvest. However, this year is the best year we have had in recent years. We have 8 tomato bushes, and we have harvested over a bushel, given them away to all the neighbors, and they are still going strong. Is this a bumper crop year for tomatoes for any of you? This year we put Epson Salts on them a couple of times during the mid-growing season. I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Comments (8)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

EXCELLENT!
    We lost a tree that was shading our vegetable beds and were able to expand our planting areas. I learned more (and am learning more and more) about biodynamic gardening, and have added some rock dusts and lots of home compost to my soil and fed it fish emulsion and it's growing strong! We've probably had close to a bushel of larger size tomatoes, and a LOT of cherry. I'm actually about ready to take one or two plants out and add more cherry tomatoes for fall,

GGG

• jmzms
    15 years ago

Mine are not well at all, but my entire garden has been neglected this year. The first round is just ripening and they're fairly small. I'm so disappointed ... I usually harvest enough tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce to last me through the following spring. This year looks like it won't make it through the new year. :-(

• jigsaw
    15 years ago

This has been the best year for tomatoes,I have had since I can remember. I started mine from seed, first time ever, and planted many varieties The Cherokee Purples are the best tomatoes I have ever eaten. They have a wonderful taste of semi sweet and tangy too. I will defentley plant those again.

• gailnga
    15 years ago

Hi. I'm new here so I might not be doing this right. I just had to reply to this post because I've had SO many tomatoes this year. I just read an email from my hubby saying that he wouldn't mind if he never saw another tomato again. I had five plants and TONS of maters. I've frozen, canned, cooked and sandwiched. We made hot sauce, pasta sauce, chili base and just plain old canned tomatoes. I thought I'd have another month left but those ugly leaf beetle critters have taken over. They give me the creeps. I'm thinking about doing a fall garden but it would be a first for me. I don't know where to start. Insects would be the biggest problem. My husband planted collards one year and all I remember is worms all over them. I'd have to do a lot of reading to learn how to do a good green leafy vegetable garden. I hate not having anything growing. I LOVE gardening. It's rather depressing watching the stuff die.

• bugsmom
    15 years ago

This has been a great year for maters!!! Especially the Cherokee Purples!!! I live in Dunwoody and I think I only watered maybe 3 or 4 times this year!

• moonphase
    15 years ago

Mine are coming in faster than I can put them up.I wsd mine from seed.I always put epson salt in the hole when I plant them and then put circles of red vinyl around the plant.I have tried alot of different varieties for the last couple of years and have had great success with them.
    moonphase

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I planted about 50+ plants and they got away from me before I could support them up..so I have 50 sprawling mater plants, it's a jungle out there to say the least, fortunately I am able to navigate around the plants and pick them.

I have put up (frozen) many quart bags and have given tons away and have thrown away another ton, I picked a 5 gallon bucket last week (a weekly event) and for every one I picked I had to toss 3 or more. they had rotten spots on them (from bug bites etc).

Next year, I'm only planting Amelia, it's been the best looking, most dependable growing wise, size wise, flavor wise, DISEASE FREE plant out there. AND I'll get my supports in before the plants go in.
    AND I probably wont plant 50+ plants :)

• amyta
    15 years ago

I planted 2 Early Girls in a Tomato Success planter from Gardner's Supply. They did really well until a few weeks ago when the tomatoes got smaller..and fewer..and the vines are yellowing and wilting. They are kept watered through the bottom supply so what's going on? Is it time for them to die? They don't seem to have a disease.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County