Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffaneyga

Who is growing tropical fruits in GA?

tiffaneyga
18 years ago

I am curious to know what types of tropical fruits or regular fruits are you currently growing here in Georgia?

Currently, I am growing a Julie mango, mexican avocado, pineapple, bananas, kumquat, pink lemon, tangerine, pineapple guave, strawberry guava, grapefruit, sanguinelli orange, and I have a soursop on the way! Unfortunately, I had a lovely jackfruit which I managed to kill! sobs...

My regular fruits include: Italian honey fig, celeste fig, pumpkins, watermelons,pear tree, sweet lace grape, apples, blueberries, and a host of veggies and herbs.

Comments (22)

• gagirl30161
    18 years ago

I am growing pineapple but haven't had any fruit yet.

I also have some banana trees.

• tiffaneyga
    Original Author
    18 years ago

gagirl-I've had my pineapple for over a year and I can't seem to get mine to flower either....

GAAlan-I have a Mona Lisa banana and another type in pots but both have the ability to produce bananas. Both are fairly tall but they have never flowered for me....

• georgiagirl
    18 years ago

I have a Persian lime and a Meyer lemon. Both produce fruit periodically.

• shadowlover
    18 years ago

I have a Key Lime, a Meyer and 'Improved Meyer' Lemon that I overwinter in the basement along with my perennial figs and strawberries. All do wonderfully. Will be watching for more fruit growers--especially those grown in upper mid-GA. I'd sure like to hear from Paw-Paw growers!

Thanks for posting, where are you? I'm between Atlanta and Macon.

• suwannee75
    18 years ago

I have passionfruit, dragonfruit, persimmon, improved meyer lemon and an 18 inch tall avocado that i found in my compost pile a few weeks ago. I have only lived this house for a year so i have had no fruit from any of the above yet, but tons of flowers on the passionflower and lemon. The persimmon was here before me so I might see some action this year.

I also have blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, figs and a big veggie/herb garden.

I am interested in trying pomegrante and kumquat. What I would give for a real Julie mango!!!!

I am in Augusta.

• suwannee75
    18 years ago

I have ginger and banana too.

• tiffaneyga
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Suwanee75- mangoes are really fun to grow, you should try it. Have you ever thought about purchasing one?

I am thinking about getting a wax jambu, jackfruit (I killed the first one), dragonfruit, pomegrante, buddha hand (I killed the first one), sweetsop, and a rambutan. I declare I am obsessed w/ these plants, they are like my little children......

• shadowlover
    18 years ago

Speaking of fruits and all, has anyone ordered from 'Just Fruits and Exotics'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Fruits and Exotics

• gagirl30161
    18 years ago

My banana trees are to small to flower yet. I don't believe that they are the fruiting kind though. My friend that lives in Florida brought me a stalk of bananas that she had grown in her backyard. Made me sick!! LOL They were small bananas but the taste was out of this world! They were so much better than store bought bananas.

My pineapple plants look pretty but still no fruit! I do know people around here that have had fruit and said that it was really good. So...I am waiting...hoping..maybe next year!

• suwannee75
    18 years ago

I have been to Just Fruits about a year ago, it is on the way to the beach for me. It was a great place, very friendly staff, good selections. I bought all of my blues there.

• tiffaneyga
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just received a wax jambu, dragonfruit, sweetsop, soursop, lychee, and macadamia nut tree! So far so good! The sweetsop is producing a few fruit!

I'm hoping to buy a cashew next!

• ichoudhury
    6 years ago

wow, over a decade later, I am resurrecting this thread :p

I am growing Mixed of Tropical and Native (Path to a food forest)

• Pawpaws (shenandoah, Susquehanna, Mango, Maria's Joy, KSU Atwood, KSU Benson, Allegheny)
    • Feijoa (two varieties, Apollo and unknown)
    • Persimmon (Hyakume, Fuyu, Giant Fuyu, Jiro, Maru, Chocolate, Coffeecake)
    • Phalsa (Potted) - Grewia Asiatica
    • Guava (Mexican Cream, Larkana Guava)
    • Jujube (Honey Jar, Sugarcane, Li)
    • Figs (bunch to list) :p
    • Apple (Pink Lady, Candy Crisp, Gala, Red and Yellow Delicious)
    • Pears (Bartlet and MoonGlow)
    • Plums (Bubblegum, and 2 varieties I can't recall)
    • Peaches (2 varieties)
    • Eleagnas
    • Cherries (Bing, Unknown Red and Green Cherries)
    • Blackberries, Blueberries, Huckleberries
    • Grapes, Currents(Black and Red)
    • Goji
    • Rhubarbs
    • Meyers Lemon and Improved Meyers Lemon
    • Mulberry
    • so on

• daphne1980
    6 years ago

I want to grow oranges or tangerines but I think they wont survive..I have italian figs ,and a persian sour plum

• ichoudhury
    6 years ago

Unless you have a green house, you can try growing dwarf variety in a pot so you can bring it inside before the Frost Danger by a well lit Window.

• C S
    6 years ago

New here but have a question about this tree......
    I have this peach??? tree in my yard, it's about 4' tall and about as wide. I don't know the variety but the fruit it produced this year was very small (slightly bigger than a golf ball) and it looks like peach but don't know for sure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Also have pear, several other peach, fig, strawberry, and a mediocre herb garden (not sure what everything is, still learning)

• John Pool
    6 years ago

I'm growing several tropicals including dragon fruit which has had half a dozen blooms but no fruit set. I'm guessing I have a variety (unknown) that is not self-fertile. Any advice on getting a blossom to pollinate?

• HU-227579617
    4 years ago

Hello all, I’m new to this and want to create a sustainable garden for my family. Anyone had success with jackfruit? Soybeans?

• ichoudhury
    4 years ago

Everyone in Georgia (7-7B-8) should consider Phalsa or Falsa (Grewia Asiatica). I’v been enjoying these berries (superfood )

But, I’ve been bringing those babies inside when we are in danger of frost. This year, I’ll leave the one sent root through the pot outside and see the exciting result unfold.

• Memon Anas
    3 years ago

from where i can get a gravia asiatica (phalsa) in georgia i live in lilburn GA

• Krutika Shah
    2 years ago

ichoudhury where did u get the phalsa plant from?

• Krutika Shah
    2 years ago

I m in ga zone 8b dont know where to find phalsa and guava (not the pink, i want the white kind from inside)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21