Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newsletter information for late summer/fall?

Posted by aleighjc 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 21:22

I'm on my subdivisions board as the landscape committee and I'm wondering about late summer or fall landscaping/gardening. I'm not a native to Georgia, so I'm not sure about how to treat the plants/grass/landscape with each season. I'm looking for information that I can add to our Aug/Sept/Oct newsletter. Thanks for any advice/tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newsletter information for late summer/fall?

Some thoughts/tips that you can offer:

- different types of grass have different requirements, folks might want to check out Walter Reeves's Lawn Calendars to find out what to do for their lawn: http://www.walterreeves.com/lawns/article.phtml?cat=6&id=353

- have fewer weeds next year by making sure that this year's weeds don't go to seed! A favorite rhyme of mine: "One year's seeding equals seven years of weeding" (because the seeds don't all germinate the same year).

- when the leaves come down in the fall, save them for a compost pile or chop them up with your lawn mower and use them as mulch under your trees and shrubs. As the leaves break down, they act as free fertilizer for those plants.

- fall is a great time to plant trees and shrubs; use the hot summer to research the right plants so that you are ready to plant in the fall.

Walter Reeves also offers a nice seasonal calendar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seasonal calendar

o

You might also mention the fact that you can deadhead or cut back some annuals and perennials and get a fall bloom period, you can do that with roses too.
You can give some info on seed saving. Late summer and fall are great times to collect seeds from zinnias, coneflowers and others, and these seeds can be used to trade or just sow in another area. You can also collect veg seeds or melon seeds, for example. Also there is a forum here called winter sowing and you might want to direct some folks to check out that forum and they might want to do winter sowing this year. They could be getting there containers ready in the fall.
laurie

o

I knew I could count on you guys. I had checked with a local garden center and home depot and they were not very friendly and didn't really have any advice. I went when I knew they would not be busy too. Thanks again!!! Still looking for more, and off to go check out the links!

o

If you are interested in knowing more about vegetable gardening, some information is in the Oakhurst Community Garden newsletter. It will tell you what crops they have been planting, and that is a help for the gardener.

o

The Cobb County Extension offices has articles on Hot topics in Urban Agriculture that offer up Monthly tips...
Could be good fodder for your newsletter if you're near the Atlanta area.

And I second the Walter Reeves suggestion.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobb County Extension

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here