Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbrickm

What's biting us?

jbrickm
13 years ago

I believe some bug/parasite from my yard has been biting me and my wife in the bedroom. Here's the story:

Usually I'm very careful about washing up, changing clothes etc. before going upstairs. However, last week I had to from the garden to my bedroom upstairs to pick up an urgent phone call. Since then, we've cleaned the bedroom twice but still some darned thing has been biting us in our bedroom. The bites are almost always near the ankles and calves.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Thanks

Comments (8)

• satellitehead
    13 years ago

Sounds like bedbugs, not a garden pest. They love ankles and legs, and live in your bed. There has been a huge resurgence of them in recent years. If that is what you have .... so sorry, I hear they're nearly impossible to get rid of.

• jbrickm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't believe they are bedbugs. WE have had them in the past (in another house). We get bit even when we are standing.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

fleas? You could have brought in fleas by accident, they will eat on humans as well as pets. If you have blood marks on your legs it will be bed bugs. Satellithead is right, they've come to Georgia big time. A few years ago when I worked in a hardware store i never had a single request to get rid of the bed bugs. Then all of a sudden I got TONS of requests. They can also be in parts of carpeting anywhere they can hide that is darker... there will also be some staining on sheets around the edges from bed bugs. But check for fleas too.

• nancybea
    13 years ago

I second FLEAS! Do you have any pets who come in that room? I have had flea infestations several times over the years, and
    I always find them by the small red bite marks all over my ankles (sort of looks like a bunch of mosquito bites) To be sure, you can sit on the floor and spread your bare legs out in front of you. Carefully observe for a few minutes and I'll bet you see tiny black fleas jump on your legs. I've always killed them by setting off bug bombs, usually one in every room, ('cause if you don't now, you'll soon have them all over). Just follow directions on the can.

• jbrickm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. We double checked for bedbugs and did not see the stain marks etc. It looks like a flea infestation. We'll try a bug bomb tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue.

• rosiew
    13 years ago

You'll need more than one flea bomb for those dastardly creatures. The can should tell you about recommended placement/coverage.

It'll be great getting a report that y'all are sleeping well and not getting bitten.

Rosie

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Rosie is right. You must treat again in about 8-10 days to disrupt the entire flea cycle.

• frankielynnsie
    13 years ago

An easy way to check for fleas in your carpet/on your floor is to hold a white towel by 2 corners and drag it over the floor leaving 1/4 to 1/3 of the towel in contact with the floor. They will jump on and hang on. Just turn it over and you will be able to see their dark bodies.
    I hope it is fleas and not bed bugs. Just got back from a week away in 4 different motels. We always shift the mattress off the base and check under sheets at the edges of mattress and box springs, under the whelting for any bed bug poop--which is brown/red staining and bugs. Something I don't want to bring home. Also pack everything in the suitcase in large plastic zip bags/space bags so they can't hitch a ride home as easily-I hope. We have seen evidence of bed bugs at our schools so they are out there.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor