Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
By By Bananas

Posted by georgiagirl 9GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 21:42

Well, the bananas on my banana tree that I posted a question about a few weeks ago just shriveled up and dropped off the tree. I really think the banana event was a sort of accident, so I am not really disappointed. I have been told that No. 1, it is the wrong time of the year for the tree to produce bananas, and, No. 2, the stalk was left over from last year and should have died back at the first frost last winter. But, oh, well. It lent a little excitement in my neighborhood and gave me something to ponder over, so the experience was worth it all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: By By Bananas

are these ornamental or edible bananas? i was watching an episode of GA Gardener with Walter Reeves a couple months back and saw some of the bananas being produced at a nursery in Savannah (I believe) that were really nice looking, but totally inedible (seedy). from an ornamental perspective, they were nice, though.

o

Since the banana tree was given to me by a friend, I have no idea if it is an ornamental, but most likely it is since we don't grow bananas here as a usual thing. It was intriguing, however to watch the process, and yes, disappointing not to get to see the ripening take place. I already have another tree about 4 feet tall, which is a branch off from the root of the original. So, who knows? I'll let you know next year. Stay tuned.

o

I have the ornamental banana and that is all they do
To have edible bananas get a start from the Bamboo Farm and Coastal Gardens Fall Festival on October 25, 2008

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bamboo Farm and Coastal Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here