Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Anyone grow Hickory for nuts?

girlgroupgirl
15 years ago

Arbor Foundation says we can grow hickory in this zone for nuts. Is this true? Do you?

Comments (10)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I don't grow them(wish I did!), but both of the edible species, Shagbark(Carya ovata) & Shellbark(Carya laciniosa) Hickory's are native to Georgia, but not as widespread as in some of the other southern states.
    Commercial production of Hickory nuts is very limited, as most nut producers choose to grow it's close relative, Pecan(Carya illinoinensis's many cultivars).
    If you decide to grow them, it's best to plant a grafted variety, which can produce nuts within 8-10 years, whereas a tree on it's own roots will probably require 15 years to produce. Although each tree produces M/F flowers and is self fertile, at least 2 trees, spaced about 25 ft. apart, are recommended for cross-pollination and increased fruit production. Like corn, they are wind pollinated.
    They also have a deep taproot, making large specimens difficult to transplant. Early spring & late fall is best time to plant and available trees are usually shipped bareroot in the spring and should be planted immediately upon receipt. Potted specimens may be available, but I haven't found them at any of my haunts.
    Deep fertile soil is necessary and adequate moisture, but not bog conditions, is required during establishment and when fruit set is occurring.

As you are probably aware, Pecan & Hickory nut meat is one of the healthiest foods available and can be used to replace, ounce for ounce, meat and fish for protein, is high in vitamins and contains unsaturated fats and no cholesterol.
    Has been suggested, but not approved, by the FDA, as part of a low fat, low cholesterol diet, for those of us with aged tickers!
    If you have space for some additional shade trees, they would be an excellent choice.
    Rb

• opal52
    15 years ago

Hickory trees were common in North Georgia where I grew up. They were mostly in wild or natural areas we called "the woods". I didn't know of anyone who grew them on purpose. Hickory nuts (hickernuts) taste really good, but are a lot of work for a little nutmeat. That didn't stop us from enjoying them when I was a kid.

My husband grew up in Rockdale county and says Hickory trees could be found here, but were not common.

• danita
    15 years ago

My grandmother in Smyrna has wild Hickory nut trees in her yard. I don't know what kind they are and I've never eaten one but I'll try to remember to give them a closer look next time I'm there. I do know that they make a horrible racket when they fall on the roof! :)

• botanicat
    15 years ago

We have a lot of hickory trees around our house and in the woods near the house. We rake up lots of nuts along with the leaves in the fall. I'll have to try cracking out a few. We probably have at least 2 types. They make nice large shade trees.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RB, thanks, that is really good information. I would definately like to try growing them as well as the native filbert. As a vegetarian looking for free sources of protein, nuts fit the bill. I have one sometimes fruiting pecan that I don't do much with - like water it...it's had two rough years. I guess I should take better care of it. There are three other non-fruiting pecans around it. Are there male and female pecan trees?
    Thanks also for the reminder Danita to place them closer to the back of our property, away from any future buildings. I'm not sure where that would be. My neighbors won't like nuts dropping, and I'd like to keep nut trees away from potential greenhouse and building roof lines!!

GGG

• razorback33
    15 years ago

GGG....
    The wild Pecan tree is monoecious, with M/F catkins on the same tree. For commercial production, in order to prevent inbreeding, clones (cultivars) have been selected to minimize self-pollination and thus produce larger and more abundant fruit. This requires planting of 2 or more different cultivars in close proximity to pollenize each other. Like the planting of corn, you would not want to plant more than 2 in a single, straight line. You should also not grow any other plants, except grass, underneath them.

FYI...The US accounts for about 90+% of the world's production of Pecans and Georgia leads all states in amount produced. Companies in some European countries own Georgia Pecan orchards and export the total harvest to their home country!
    Rb

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RB, why not grow anything else under the trees except grass. I do not do grass. Is this just for the whole gathering of the nuts thing, or any other reason. They are not allopathic, are they?

Just askin', to be prepared and all, ya know?

GGG

• razorback33
    15 years ago

GGG.....
    Primary concern regarding underplantings is competition for soil moisture.
    Adequate moisture is critical during first 2-3 years after transplanting and during the period, each year, when fruit is setting.
    Commercial growers routinely mow their orchards to remove any weeds and tall grasses. This serves two purposes, removing vegetation that competes for moisture and keeps the area clean for the mechanized harvesters.
    Do you have/like pine islands? That would be an ideal place for them. Moisture retention, weed suppression, erosion prevention and some say, visual appeal(guess that depends upon one's perspective!)
    Rb

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

ggg.
    I'm a hickory enthusiast. If you want to grow hickories for the nuts, I'd strongly recommend planting grafted selections of shagbark & shellbark hickory, as the other species which are probably most prevalent to your area(mockernut, pignut, etc.) are more trouble than they're worth with regard to trying to remove any significant amount of nutmeats - their shells are too thick and internally convoluted to allow you access to anything other than tiny little fragments.
    These two species may or may not be very common around Atlanta - I grew up just outside of Auburn, AL, and don't recall ever seeing a shellbark on our farm, and only two shagbarks on the whole 250-acre property. From experience sending shagbark seedlings/graftlings to a friend at Auburn, the shagbarks appear to be much more susceptible to infection with the scab fungus(the same one that affects pecan), but shellbarks seem to be less bothered by it.
    Allelopathy? Well, yes, pecan/hickories are in the walnut family, so they do produce some juglone - though much less than does the eastern black walnut. I'd be more inclined to attribute poor performance of other plants to competition with a large pecan or hickory for available moisture and soil nutrients than to the production of juglone.

Here's the best source for hickory cultivars in the entire US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank-you Lucky. My biggest concern then would be diseases. I do not spray things - I'm not against some organic sprays but I am trying to avoid a) fussing too much and b) harming any of the insects.

Do you recommend any other nuts for the hot, humid south?

Thanks,
    GGG

Sponsored