Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazepepper

Slammed by storm in Gwinnett

blazepepper
15 years ago

I live in the Auburn/Dacula area and we just had one of the worst storms I've ever seen. Our entire yard was covered in hail, mostly penny to nickle size, but some that looked golf ball sized. I'd say those who had cars outside the garage will have some damage. Lightning was horrible and very very close. And if my $5 rain gauge is correct, we had over 5 inches of rain in about 2 hours, but that doesnt seem possible. Although the sides of my yard and a lot of my back yard were cmpletly under water. I can't complain though, especially compared to the damage suffered by man atlantans earlier this year. Looks like I lost a few potted impatiens and my cucumber trellis looks pretty torn up. I picked all of the close to ripe cukes in hopes it can put its energy on growing and repairing itself. Do you think my cukes will make it?

Comments (9)

• aleighjc
    15 years ago

I have not grown cucumbers here but in wisconsin I did and those things are amazingly hardy I think!!! The rain sure was amazing. Here I was thinking all day how tonight was my night to water... LOL

• razorback33
    15 years ago

No hail here..No rain either!
    The approaching TS split a few miles to my west and it rained within ½ mile each side of me. My weather saga continues into the second year.
    Sorry for your losses, mine will probably be from lack of rainfall.
    Rb

• mk87
    15 years ago

blazepepper - We are not quite in your zone, of course; but we grew cucumbers a couple of times at our old house and they were pretty hardy. We had neighborhood animals come in there and knock things around (we didn't have a fence), bad storms (one in particular took out our sliding glass patio door!), and heat, heat, heat. They did just fine.

We are having a pretty OK year for rain here, it seems. Not quite as much slow and steady rain as we'd like of course, but a little closer to the day-gets-hot-then-rains-late-afternoon kind of weather that we used to have all the time. I swear, is it just me or does anybody else remember that 10 or 15 years ago, that's what we had...almost every day...in the mid-late summer? It would get ridiculously hot, then storm almost every single afternoon.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

just a comment on your rain total; i measured 3.2" in my gauge from several cloudbursts between 4:00 and 8:00 yesterday afternoon.
    they were intense at times so, based on the description of your event, 5" doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
    sorry about your plants and i saw your post about replacement plants. you could replace the impatiens with more of the same. they go on until frost and begin to get leggy about this time of year for me from the spring plantings. i like the narrow leaf zinnia (zinnia angustifolia) for sunny spots. they are colorful mounds of flowers all summer and you may still be able to find them at the garden centers.
    the "profusion series" of those may be easier to locate and are also small enough for containers.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

We had a nice rain here - but even areas as close as several blocks away were totally missed. I'm sorry you got so much hail. At least when it hailed here earlier this year it was too early to damage too much.
    I've just been planting annual vinca as I did grow a ton from seed but they've been so slow taking off. Vinca are so colorful and will take you right into the fall. It's not too late for more cukes!
    I went to Lowes last week and they had loads of nice veggies and tons of annuals.

GGG

• buford
    15 years ago

On Monday n ight the storms were all around us and we got nothing. Last night we got about .5 inch after watching the storms on radar for an hour. My lawn is fried.

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

I missed out on the hail part of the storm but got everything else. A person from Douglasville submitted a video of the storm in his area to Youtube and it was nine minutes of hail! I had to go out there myself and trees in certain parts of town were half defoliated by that storm! They had almost 2" of rain from the storm whereas I had only 0.46", but I ain't complaning about missing the hail.

• blazepepper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, 24 hrs post storm, I came home from work and did a plant damage assesment. I'd say I was lucky. My cucumbers appear to be toasted and a lot of my tomatoes were damaged by the hail. The tomatoes are no big deal, I just picked the ones that were dented/damaged and they will go on. But the cucumbers looked pitiful. Almost the entire plant was tattered, broken, and covered in white mildewy looking stuff. I cut off all parts of the plant that were damaged (not leaving much behind), in hopes it would re grow new strong branches. Do you guys think this is a good idea and do you think it will survive? The plants were about 6 ft tall up a trellis, and after I cut them down, they are only about 2 feet tall with very few leaves left. I guess it's not too late to plant a brand new one if need be, that is, if I can still find a seedling. Thanks for the suggestions.

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

blazepepper, I'm right by you in Winder. I remember that storm. It toppled my cucumbers as well. Most were broken off at the base as I had them in pots and the trellis bent them over the pot edge as they fell. I was just about to get my first female to flower.

It made me sick.
    How are yours working out?

Just wanted to let you know I shared your pain.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County