Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grogreen

Agapanthus in Ga?

grogreen
18 years ago

HI,I was recently in CA and saw Agapanthus everywhere...does anyone know if they grow well in the Atlanta metro area?

Comments (20)

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

I have Peter Pan. They are much smaller than some of the other varieties. I planted 5 last year and they barely flowered. They are flowering now but not as showy as I expected. I did see a really beautiful larger dark purple-blue one at the botanical gardens in the rose garden. It was very pretty. I would love to find a source for some of the larger ones. Who knows what they would do in ayear where they weren't drowning though.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Saw some very robust one's this week in a garden in N Dekalb Co. planted on a north facing slope. The lady said she doesn't mulch them in the winter and they have survived for several years, which was a surprise to me. I may try a few in my garden next year. Have seen them at big box stores on the coast at very reasonable prices.
    Rb

• chattahoochee
    18 years ago

I have a beautiful one (can't recall the variety...two feet tall, dark blue) in the middle of a rose bed. It gets full sun until mid-afternoon and I didn't give it any winter protection other than the usual mild mulching. Planted it last year with the vague expectation that it would be an annual, but it surprised me and came back this year, growing like gangbusters.

• guindy
    18 years ago

Yes, yes yes! I'm surprised that we don't see more. I have quite a few of the traditional variety (not a Headbourne hybrid) that have bloomed their best ever this year. I have maybe 8-10 blooms right now.

Here are the caveats however: I live in the city which is a bit warmer in the winter than the 'burbs. Mine are planted facing southeast in a protected area bordered on the west by the porch and on the north by the house. They feeeze to the ground, but always come back. They get mid-day sun all year.

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Most varieties I have seen are zone 7-9 so even in the burbs you should be fine. I am in Cumming and mine overwintered just fine and they are not sheltered at all and I didn't do anything special.

• aqrose
    18 years ago

Mine gave me leaves this year, but so far no flowers. It was stunning last year and hope it does eventually have some flowers this year.

• grogreen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm over on the Northwest side (Paulding County/ Dallas), so I think I'll try some and see what happens.

• lindabeth
    18 years ago

I had this plant at my old home in Marietta,near the square. It did not come back for me. Perhaps it did not like the level of sun.I saw beautiful blooming plants in Savannah along the front walk of Elizabeth's on 34th, a well known restaurant. They were in full sun.

• comotion
    18 years ago

I'm near downtown Atlanta, and mine have yet to flower. They have survives the last few winters, but even the foliage looks disappointing...

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

I love mine! With the protection of some mulch, my Blue Danube (I believe that is the variety) have survived a couple of years. It hasn't multiplied, though; I still have the same 2 bulbs I started with, lol.

Elaine, however, did not survive even our mild winter this past year. :(

They are in full sun.

• chezron
    18 years ago

I think some are hardier than others, so look on the tag before you buy. I purchased a variety called 'Blue Storm' this spring, and it has never stopped blooming. I hope it makes it through the winter because the tag says Zone 9.

• suwannee75
    18 years ago

I just transplanted about 10 of them from my parents's house in North Florida. Their's have multiplied so much that the 10 I took didnt even make a dent. I sure hope they survive! I did look them up in my Walter Reeves book and it has them listed as an annual in Georgia.

• spage1
    18 years ago

I have 2 that are 2 years old. They bloomed but not much last year. This year they ahve had nice big blooms but single blooms so far. I dont do anything to them for the winter. I am in Roswell.

• Tricia
    18 years ago

I've had mine for at least 3 years. They come back every year but I have yet to see them bloom. I don't know if they've bloomed in years past when I was traveling (usuallya month of the summer) or if they've never bloomed. I stayed home this summer for all but a week and they haven't bloomed. They are white ones I bought at an ABG plant sale several years ago.

• squirrellypete
    18 years ago

I bought a large 'Elaine' Agapanthus and divided it into 4 plants. All four survived the winter in an open unprotected, unmulched full sun location. I realize this was a mild winter so I transplanted them to a more sheltered location in the spring and they have grown very well but no blooms this year. I have since been told that the roots like to be crowded and they will often bloom better if potted or even buried in the ground pot and all. I may dig a couple up, put them in a pot & re-bury them as an experiment for next year.

This past weekend I purchased 'Peter Pan' & 'Lilliput' Agapanthus which I think are smaller varieties, so we'll see how they do and if they survive this coming winter.

Squirrellypete

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

I am in Roswell, and mine are blooming beautifully.
    Will get some more in spring.

~Natalie

• karen888
    14 years ago

I planted one agapanthus in my garden in June, ...it's surviving, but not blooming. Will this plant propagate into more plants?

• Gabrielle Nojaim
    11 months ago

Hey you guys! New to the site and am jazzed that folks are familiar with Agapanthus here. I became familiar with them after living in California years ago...and I'm wondering...where can I find some to buy? They sold them in places like Home Depot in Ca. but I've not seen them here...

• HU-695283582
    10 months ago

I have a giant agapanthus in a felt pot (they really love good drainage) on my porch is 4 feet tall and gorgeous. i havent planted it in the ground because im planning to buy a house sooner than later and i dont want to dig it up. you can propogate them pretty easily too from what im reading. I have mine in full sun but they are part shade plants also. they’re funny plants, they look like Dr Suess made them. i def prefprefer the giant ones to the smaller, more common varieties because theyre filled with personality.

• HU-695283582
    10 months ago

Oh and also- i bought my giant agapanthus from ”breaking ground” plant nursery in Senoia Georgia

Sponsored