Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Rice and Whole Grains

Posted by alpharetta z7, atlanta, GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 23:37

I heard they are good for healthy eating. I can find the Brown Rice in Asian groccery store, np. How about the whole grains? What is the specific names and where to buy?

Other question: Has anyone grow Brown Rice or Whole Grains in GA? and How?

Thanks and God blesses!
Alphretta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Rice and Whole Grains

"Whole grain" is a generic term used to apply to any grain that hasn't been stripped of the bran or fiber found in its core. This fiber, along with some nutrients, is what makes whole grains good for you. Any grain - wheat, oats, etc - can be sold as a "whole grain" depending on how it is processed. The trick is to read the food labels and make sure that the ingredients list "whole" grains. Don't simply buy "wheat" bread, for example, the label must say "whole wheat".

I've never tried growing grains at home, and suspect it would be difficult. A good alternative for the home garden, which isn't a grain but which has lots of fiber, is collard greens.

o
RE: Brown Rice and Whole Grains

We often prepare recipes using bulgur wheat or barley. Corn and cornmeal are also considered whole grains. I have read a lot about quinoa lately, but haven't tried it yet. You can find these at the Dekalb Farmers Market at reasonable prices. Other whole grains are available there as well. You can usually find whole grains in your local Kroger or Publix, but they can be expensive.

I added a link to a recipe using bulgur which we have prepared many times and always enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulgur Salad With Cherries

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here