Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugtussellmom

Pink Lady Apple Trees

bugtussellmom
14 years ago

My Mom thinks she can successfully graph (is that the right word?) the trees so my question is not about that.

We have 23 acres and there are less than a dozen different apple trees, mostly situated in the middle of the rectangular shaped property.

To keep the Pink Lady true to the variety, I understand that I must keep them away from the other apple trees? How far away? What about other trees, we have plums and pear trees with fruit and then some others that never produced fruit - which have been there for years - nectarine, peach and something else (I'll have to find out) - do those type of trees matter in keeping the Pink Lady Apple true to its variety? I need help deciding where to put the new apple trees to keep their "variety" from changing.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• cupcabbage
    14 years ago

You need to plant the pink lady apple tree, say around 20 feet from another apple, if you mom grafts your tree on a semi-dwarf rootstock. Spacing will be determined on what kind of rootstock she uses. The tree will still need cross pollination of the other apple trees to make fruit. The tree will still make pink lady apples but the seed that it produces will be a pink lady and what ever happens to pollinate it cross. Most varaties of fruit need cross pollination.

• bugtussellmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There's a lot more to it than I thought. I planned on buying a few Pink Lady trees from a producer so maybe she plans to use those for "rootstock"? That is what I assumed but I'm not positive. She's on vacation so I don't know what she has in mind. She has never done it (grafting) but she watched my father so I feel that we do need to educate ourselves about it. Am I correct that she will use the purchased trees as rootstock? And we'll plant those near the grafted tree? But then those purchased trees won't also need grafting? Or they already have been?

Thanks for your help!

• cupcabbage
    14 years ago

For more information on rootstocks you could google CENTURY FARM ORCHARDS website and check out the rootstock section on their web page. They are very nice and know alot about apples. Apple trees you buy in the store are already grated to rootstock, you can see the graft line about an inch or two above the soil in the pot where the two were connected. The reason they graft trees on to rootstocks is to maintain a desired height and size of the tree and keep the scion wood(the pink lady in your case) true to the oringinal tree. You could grow an apple from seed but you would have no idea what kind of tree would grow from that seed, so this is the reason for grafting trees.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!