Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

diseases in the garden this year

bagsmom
13 years ago

Hey gang -- I worked outside yesterday and was pretty distressed! I am fairly sure I have completely lost a large knock out rose to disease. Some fungus-y crud..... yellowing leaves, then going to black spots, then the stems getting black and shriveled. I cut it way back, but I'm not sure what is going to happen.

(I treated with a systemic fungicide when I first noticed it, but it didn't work, I guess. I treated about 3 weeks ago, but it looks like the whole shrub is dead.)

I have a large area of ornamental raspberry that is just gone. Brown, crunchy, and shriveled.

Hydrangeas have spots that look like purple ink -- stems are turning black and pruning up.

Yikes!!!!!! Typically, my garden is pretty sturdy. I don't baby things too much. I water if needed, but not too much.

Has this been a disease-ridden year for anyone else?

Comments (4)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

The ornamental raspberry is temperamental to heat, drainage and drought in the Atlanta area. Consider that it may come back in the fall, as may all your other plants. Sometimes prolonged heat is just not great for things. I've had heat effect knockouts - especially the one in an area I more or less ignore. The ground gets hard and it can sure get dry and sometimes some dies back.
    My veggies have suffered the most, but the thymes, veronicas, and many perennials in great soil are HATING all this constant heat. My front yard has been about 100 for three months running, and most of the plants are not plants that do well in that kind of heat (or if they do, they would prefer it in standing water!!!).
    What a crazy last few years. You just never know what to expect.

• frankielynnsie
    13 years ago

I am having all of the above problems. My yellow and pink knockout roses are skeletonized with yellow leaves and blackspot but still blooming. Spotted hydrangeas and way too many stink bugs and some other black sucking bugs. Some of my perennials are dead but others have thrived--the lantana and basil are huge, moss rose has spread in wide swaths, salvias are doing well. The weeds are thriving. I have pulled up everything in the veg. garden but the peppers and tomatoes. I have watered when needed and am over-all pleased. This year we have moved all the perennials to raised beds that were once veg. garden, cut down the size of the veg. garden and hopefully will get to decrease some of the beds in the back yard to just shrubs in hopes of cutting down on the upkeep-when it gets a little cooler. We are working at it slowly but surely.

• woody_ga
    13 years ago

I was told that many of our problems have their roots in our cool wet spring. I'm hanging in there and hoping the coming somewhat cooler weather will help. Some of my daylilies that looked so bad, have died back and are now coming out with fresh new shoots.

• laurelwoodfarms
    13 years ago

I'm in Newnan, where we've had a very hot wet steamy summer. I think a lot of the problems we're seeing on my side of town are moisture related- fungal conditions, root rot, drainage problems, etc.

I'm seeing some brown spots and turf die-off in low spots in my lawn, and I think some of my dahlia tubers might have rotted. My tomatoes have all given up except for the Sungold and Sweet 100,which continue to produce but look awfully scraggly.

On the plus side, the tropicals love it! My ginger lilies and cannas are six-seven feet tall and blooming like crazy. The elephant ears have made their own little jungle, and individual leaves are over 5 feet long!

I think this is one of those years when the importance of good drainage and site selection is going to be made very apparent.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting