Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for perennial geranium

Posted by rosiew 8 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 7:39

Hope someone can recommend a place I could get Geranium macrorrhizum. I've finally been able to get a load of really good compost to the far back of my property and hope to get shade loving groundcover started.

Like the height of the geranium, also open to other suggestions. Have had a heck of a time getting anything to flourish here. Have lots of tree roots in competition plus a good amount of granite outcropping, some of it under the soil several inches.

Have discovered a bunch of ferns in a friend's detention pond. Wondering if these could be transplanted to an area with a lot less moisture.

Nice challenge, huh? Thankful for your advice.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for perennial geranium

I have wild geranium maculatum in my garden. Several small volunteers if you are interested. Spreads, pink blooms in spring, nice foliage.

o

frankielynn, thanks for your nice offer. I may take you up on it. I'd really like to find a way to get a large number of small rooted cuttings that I could pot up. Was thinking of having all the same variety - don't know why, changing my mind as I type.

Where are you? I'm way OTP North in Sugar Hill, a bit south of Lake Lanier.

Rosie

o

I have a few perennial geranium that are big enough to divide. Can't promise they're G. macrorrhizum, tho! I'm in South Gwinnett.

o

I am above Gainesville but come down that way to go to Hobby Lobby and the thrift store so could dig them up and meet you sometime if you are interested. I love their leaves, they look like little stars and pink flowers are great too. I will get a picture tomorrow.

o

Pam, thanks much for the offer. I'm wondering if I should wait until fall to do this. And hoping I'll remember then - ha!

frankielynn, great offer! You say thrift store, singular. I'm an avid thrift store shopper. Have you been to the new one at N. Gwinnett Food Co-op? Could you send me an email please.

Rosie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here