Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acuba is about to Croke

Posted by tmolinis Decatur GA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 7:53

Hello,

I have 2 established 10 yo Acubas. One I tried to rejevenate in the spring. It is comming back slowly, but looks healthy.
The other is about 4 ft tall and last month began to wilt.
Now it looks horrible and some of the leaves are black.
There is a small amount of healthy new growth at the bottom of the bush.
What should I do?
Should i cut about all of the wilt and encourage the new growth now, or just scrap the whole plant?

Your advice is appreciated.

Signs of Fall. Yippie

thanks

tm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acuba is about to Croke

I've seen this before. The black leaves and wilt are usually a fungus. Plain old black leaves and a plant in sun is usually burn (like at the Dekalb Farmers market. Those poor aucubas are scorched every year)...
Just cut it back to new growth. I've done this, and even with plants who have fungal problems on the leaves, the new growth seems to do fine.

GGG

o

Thanks for the advice. I believe the drought and some direct sunlight are the cause. Will do. Peace

tm

o

My acubas have done the same thing. We have had a very hot, dry summer so far and I think that is most of the problem. I have just cut them back in years past and they put out new growth and look healthy once again.

o

Several of our Acubas have this problem - black dying leaves. Our's started in the spring and has now stopped, except the plants haven't really grown back the missing leaves.

We were told it was delayed stress from last year's drought, so we are trying to baby them this summer.

o

Acubas will actually do very well in deep shade with very limited sunlight. Helps in drought years especially as they
really do not like it dry (in the air or at the soil). In the north, they can suffer in exposed, sunny locations both from summer sun/heat and winter sun scold. But in the shade/semi-shady--no problems. Mine even flowered and produced berries in a relatively shaded locale. They also transplant fairly well. (I would not transplant them at this time of year though.)

o

My 3 ft Acuba is loosing it's leaves.We did have a very hot,dry summer.
Could it have post stress from that?
In the meantime,what can I do to save it?
Thank you
Sandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here