Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shot_gw

trip to south carolina

shot
15 years ago

This past weekend my wife and I took a trip to SC to see some long time friends. A very pleasant drive through the country, except for Augusta where there was lots of construction and thought the trip might end in a divorce!

As soon as we crossed the state line I started seeing roadside veggie/fruit stands and the price of gasoline dropped.

While there we took a trip to a local orchard where we bought some great SC peaches, huge blackberries and even bought a quart of scuppernong cider. Wasn't too bad, but I still prefer ours right off the vine. In this neck of the woods we call them scuplins.

What floored me was the price of gasoline, $3.55 a gallon compared to around $3.85 in Georgia. I know we are high on state tax, but 30 cents a gallon difference.... makes a body wonder. I know we have the best roads in the nation, but SC roads were not bad either.

Returned home in time to see the NASCAR race Sunday afternoon. A man has his priorities you know...

Shot

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

When I went to SC in July I noticed theirs was cheaper too. I wonder if they have changed their taxes (or did we)? Years ago I don't remember it being cheaper ... in fact I remember filling up in Pooler, GA right before we crossed the line so that we'd have enough for the week at the beach and then filling up again in Pooler on our way back.

Welcome back, shot. You didn't miss much - still hot and relatively dry while you were gone and more of the same today and tomorrow. And the yellow jackets are gearing up for a big fall! (and I don't mean GA Tech)

• shot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi ESH! I could live with $3.55 compared to $3.85 and up!

Thanks for the warm welcome. OH! We got an inch of rain while we were gone! Deb was so proud because it made the grass grow... she spent yesterday morning mowing... and mowing... It was terribly hot and I was quick when I would peek out to see if she was okay.

Still don't have the yellow jackets out yet or the mosquitoes... been just too dry for them I guess. The hummingbirds emptied about every feeder we had. Nice to see such well fed birds.

Speaking of GA Tech, I have a friend that is a professor there. I mentioned to him once about picking peas and he said memories like that he would prefer to forget. People change :(

Shot

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Didn't you know? The GA lesterlaters very quietly sneaked through a substantial gasoline tax hike last year, plus with every increase in the gas price, the sales tax increases.
    GA now has one of the highest gasoline tax rates in the nation, about 45¢ per gallon. In the south, only FL & NC have higher tax rates. Only 19 other states have higher rates, mainly those in the NE and West coast, incl HI.

My family spent a week in Charleston during early May and frankly, I didn't find gasoline prices there to be much cheaper, than in the Atlanta exburbs. Prices in the area around Greenville were muich cheaper, we were told.

You can thank your Rep and Senator and Lame Duck, Sonny, for gouging you at the pump, during skyrocketing gas prices.
    It would be an easier pill to swallow, if the tax revenues were wisely spent by the GDOT. Anyone remember the Corridor Z boondoggle? Well there's another one in the works, Columbus to Augusta, via Macon. While Interstate 95 widening is 10 or more years behind need.
    No need to call or write anyone in state government, I have and received NO response.
    Sorry about the rant!
    Rb

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Well good grief! This site says we pay 44.4 cents per gallon in taxes compared to 35.6 for South Carolina (information for all states is there if you're curious).

Here is a link that might be useful: More on state gas taxes

• shot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Less that ten cents a gallon difference... Makes you wonder where the rest of it is going... we have the lottery to take care of our education.

The state tax hurts us at the end of the year, so my wife pays it quarterly. Florida does not have such. I would rather pay a few cents here and there rather than one big chunk at tax time.

ESH, when we came back through Augusta we made a stop by a Publix store so that I could get me two loaves of their Italian bread. I love it and we don't have any Publix around here. In Jax we always shopped at Publix, but a friend of mine refused to shop there because everything was so nice and neat and she would spend more money there. Go figure...

Shot

• toscgwsndiqz
    15 years ago

razorback,
    I'll give you another GDOT porker in the works:
    Traffic through Rincon is so bad they want to build 2 bypasses; the Effingham Parkway on the Westside and Rincon Bypass on the East side
    and for all of that heavy traffic between Augusta and Savannah: I-3
    You guys in Metlanta do not understand real congestion:
    how hard it is to have to slow down and travel less than 75 on your way home.

Here is a link that might be useful: GDOT gift

• shot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Heard on tv this morning that Georgians pay the highest taxes in the southeast. Sure didn't need a tv to tell me that...

Watched the Georgia Farm Monitor (30 min show about agriculture for you city folks) this morning and they were talking about the increase in prices that the farmers are now getting compared to a year ago, but also that the cost of growing was even greater. Not good.

Razorback, we were around Greenville, so that could account for some of the lower prices of gasoline as I noticed a lot of storage tanks.

While traveling noticed some areas really plush with greenery while others were showing the effects of the drought. Lots of corn fields were done in. It is not feasible to grow corn unless you have ample irrigation because you cannot afford a crop failure. Check the price of nitrogen which is a must for corn.

The AG EXPO is coming up next month in Moultrie. It is a lot of fun and informative in case you have never been. Expect to spend the day if you go for there is so much to see including exhibits, demos of equipment in the fields and, my fav, FOOD.

Shot

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio