Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping a turtle any thougths?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 9:32

Found a small snapper in my yard this morning and I'd like to try to keep him,

I "temporarily" put him in my enclosed garden til I could figure out if it's reasonable to try to keep him.

I gave him a peach that he is chomping on as we speak.

I realize that he will eat stuff in my garden, so I wont leave him there long.

Has any one ever kept one of these wild turtles? He's about 5 inches across, Is there anything "mean" about doing that? he would be fed well and there are plenty of bugs out there, and no animals to bother or harm him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping a turtle any thougths?

I would let him go. He's not meant to be a pet and what good would you do him by restraining him from his natural habitat?
Turtles like water and space and it would be selfish to keep him.

o
RE: Keeping a turtle any thougths?

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 18:26

I let him go earlier today. I think he was displaced from a wooded area behind my house that recently was logged and cleared for lord knows what reason. good ole american GREED. Probably will never see deer there again either. They used to come up in the nearby yards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here