Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katy_bug_gw

Preplanned Border from Bluestone Perennials

KH 888
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Garden design is not my thing (yet). For my birthday this fall my husband is getting a couple of truckloads of compost and mulch so I can put in a new border across the front of the house. I have a boxwood shrub next to the house and this border would go in front. What do you think of the plants in this package? I have ordered individual plants from Bluestone, but I am not familiar with all of these varieties. If any of you have any other recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone Perennial Border

Comments (6)

• KH 888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

BTW - I am in Athens, GA
    The area in question gets full sun until 6pm.
    I have clay soil - hence the truckloads of compost and mulch.
    Thanks!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

The plants themselves are very fine for you...my only tip would be to make sure you dig VERY VERY deep. The clay will be part clay/part soil for like a foot...then you often reach the nastiest, hard red clay ever! You need to also amend that hard-pan or else it holds too much water without draining and just kills plant roots.
    So for your first experiment, dig a hole like 2.5' deep and you can tell then how far down you need to go to get it all well amended!

Good luck! It will be beautiful!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Since you are doing a large area, renting or borrowing a tiller to prepare the area would be a good thing.

• KH 888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments and tips. I was thinking about preparing the bed and in my back yard, I have had great luck with raised beds and the lasagna garden method. I plan on putting 5-6 inches of compost and partially composted mulch on top of the grass and not incorporate at all. I have found that where I did this in other places over the past 3 years that the organic matter really does incorporate itself over time. That and I am scared to dig too deep as I am planting right in front of a row of established bushes.

• rosiew
    14 years ago

Katy,

One problem I see if that adding 5 - 6 inches of compost directly in front of your established shrubs MAY harm the root system of the shrubbery, if the root system extends into that new area. Sorry I can't be more specific, but hope someone else will supply the info.

Rosie in Sugar Hill

• KH 888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rosie - I would love to see that information. All the Cooperative Extension publications I have read say that shrubs, bushes and trees benefit greatly from being mulched with compost.

In addition to being lazy, I have taken too many conservation tillage and no-till courses over the years that I can never bring myself to till up garden. It just works so well to top dress and not disturb the ecosystem of the soil below. I think the key is plenty of organic matter on top and lots of patience!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert