Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salisali_gw

Companion Planting for Ornamentals

salisali
14 years ago

I'm fairly new to gardening. I've been in my home for over a decade, yet last fall was the first time I've attempted anything more than some basic foundation shrubbery in my backyard. Some things have done well, others, not so much.

What I'm looking for is a resource that says something like, "If your Plectranthus 'Zulu Wonder' really likes the light conditions, soil conditions etc. where it is, here are some plants that will do really well next to it because it likes practically the exact same conditions."

When I search for info on companion planting, I get lots of sources for recommendations for produce gardening, but not so much for purely ornamentals. (But my tomatoes have seemed much happier this season with all the basil and marigolds I planted around their bases.)

All suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Your request is a very difficult one because so many plants succeed in very limited climactic conditions. You can find some companion planting books on general perennials and the Atlanta library system has a few.
    You might also try finding (I've got them on Ebay) old copies of Southern Living's garden yearbooks. They were mostly printed in the 90's and had many articles with things that you are looking for.

GGG

• salisali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, GGG. I'll look into those Southern Living yearbooks.

• scmatlanta_gw
    14 years ago

'Companion planting' usually applies, I think, just to vegetables, such as your marigold, basil and tomato combination. You might have to come at this problem from a different angle. For example, you could try a website such as the Bluestone one below and use their lists of particular plants for particular conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone Perennials Lists

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

That is a great idea scmatlanta!
    I would also suggest if it's annuals you like, you take a trip (and around now is a great time) to the UGA trial gardens. I went last year with Danita, and it was a great trip. We learned a lot about annuals - which survived where, which varieties did best, great companions to grow together etc.
    Beautiful too!

• salisali
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GGG, I've been to the UGA gardens and I agree that it's worth a return trip.

scmatlanta, thanks for that list! It's an interesting read, for sure!

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH