Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plans for fall?

Posted by btbarbara 7b/8a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 10:26

This is my first year gardening and I've been loving my summer garden but I can't decide what to do for fall. I planted some "early girl" tomato seedlings a few weeks ago and some different kinds of peppers (mammoth jalapeno, fajita bell, and red bell) hoping to squeeze in some fall tomatoes and peppers. I'd like to do some lettuce and carrots but the carrots I planted earlier didn't even germinate so I definitely want to wait till it cools off a bit. It seems like it goes from insanely hot to instantly cold (and back to hot and back to cold!) around here with no real "autumn" so I'm not sure what will really do well. I've been reading about starting potatoes in fall to give them a head start on next year and I want to try some garlic but that's for next year too.

What/when do you plant in the fall? Does anybody know of a good concise calendar for north-central GA? The Walter Reeves site has some good information but there's too much "extra" there. A while back, someone at a local nursery gave me a one-page chart from our County Extension Office that showed each month and what's ok to plant around here that month. Unfortunately, I lost that printout and haven't been able to find anything similar (and the nursery doesn't have any more and the Extension Office doesn't know what I'm talking about). I know I can look up individual plants and their dates but by the time I think of something, it seems to always be too late or too early. It was nice to look at that chart and scan through the list to see what I should be thinking about this month and next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plans for fall?

Barbara, I have this information listed from UGA Cooperative extension on my blog. Please see the link below, I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting information

o

That's aweseome...thank you!!

o

Barbara - Your welcome, let me know if you need anything else.

o

I read these and then I plant by feel anyway:) check out the other Fall favorites thread. But here's the official extension calendar.

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA Extension Vegetable Calendar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here