Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btbarbara

Plans for fall?

btbarbara
12 years ago

This is my first year gardening and I've been loving my summer garden but I can't decide what to do for fall. I planted some "early girl" tomato seedlings a few weeks ago and some different kinds of peppers (mammoth jalapeno, fajita bell, and red bell) hoping to squeeze in some fall tomatoes and peppers. I'd like to do some lettuce and carrots but the carrots I planted earlier didn't even germinate so I definitely want to wait till it cools off a bit. It seems like it goes from insanely hot to instantly cold (and back to hot and back to cold!) around here with no real "autumn" so I'm not sure what will really do well. I've been reading about starting potatoes in fall to give them a head start on next year and I want to try some garlic but that's for next year too.

What/when do you plant in the fall? Does anybody know of a good concise calendar for north-central GA? The Walter Reeves site has some good information but there's too much "extra" there. A while back, someone at a local nursery gave me a one-page chart from our County Extension Office that showed each month and what's ok to plant around here that month. Unfortunately, I lost that printout and haven't been able to find anything similar (and the nursery doesn't have any more and the Extension Office doesn't know what I'm talking about). I know I can look up individual plants and their dates but by the time I think of something, it seems to always be too late or too early. It was nice to look at that chart and scan through the list to see what I should be thinking about this month and next.

Comments (4)

Sponsored