Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caterpillars on my blueberry bushes

Posted by snoogie 7b Roswell (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 11:25

I have caterpillars denuding my blueberry bushes. They may be the same time of caterpillar, the smaller ones are similar in stripe but their bodies are georgia clay colored. Any ideas what they are?

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=240268269/a=95306167_95306167/t_=95306167

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caterpillars on my blueberry bushes

Perhaps the large one is Contracted datana - although I have been unable to find what it looks like in its adult phase.

or is it Symmerista albifrons.

o

Yep, I got 'em too. Actually I get them every year. If you blow on them, they usually arch back in unison into a 'C' shape.

No need to worry, they won't harm the plant and they might provide a little food for a hungry bird.

I also have them now on one of my Fothergillas.

o

I also get them every year and look forward to seeing them, but I cannot figure out what butterfly they turn into. I guess they get eaten before they can change. I had one left yesterday evening and it is gone this morning. :(

o

I don't think that most caterpillars transform on the bush on which they feed. Once they are done eating (and growing), they walk off to find a place to turn into a butterfly (or moth). One year I had some milkweed in pots and there were other potted plants nearby. I always found the chrysalis hanging on a different plant, never on the milkweed.

Here is a link that might be useful: A bit of an explanation about the process

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here