Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opal52

Kohlrabi - Too early??

opal52
14 years ago

I plan to try kohlrabi for the fall garden. Starting from seed I bought from Park Seed. They indicate maturity in 45 days. Does anyone else grow Kohlrabi? Should I wait a week or two to start the first planting?

I live in Conyers.

Comments (5)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I live in Duluth and am trying to grow kohlrabi too. I have got some seedlings in a flat in a mostly shade already, waiting to cool off a bit. I may direct seed some later on.
    Kohlrabi, also called rock cabbage is very close relative of cabbage. It needs lots of water and cooler temperature.
    I think we have a pretty long season here around Atlanta .
    They can tolerate frost even freez. So I think its about time to start fall crop full swing. I see the long range forcast indicating day highs of about low 80sF, shortly.
    cyrus

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Kolrabi club if they are started too early in too much heat or too late in too much cold wet soil or even if they are transplanted they can club (not form a real bulb).

I like to plant them directly about Sept. 1st and have really good luck, especially in fall with this technique. In spring I use transplants which seem to do fine there.

Cyrus is right - I have mine all winter!

• opal52
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Cyrus and GGG. I think I'll wait until Sept. 1st since I plan to direct plant them. Sometimes I get excited and tend to rush things a little. First time growing these for me. Recipes I looked up on the web sound delicious. I hope I'm able to grow them successfully. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

All right, opal,

To me,Gardening in most parts is a hobby and challenge to satisfy my taste and preferences. I, too, get exited from time to time and do things too early and at a wrong time. I accept the outcome,no matter what. This is the area that I go by my feelings, mostly, and forget the exact science things.
    As gardeners we always deal with the elements and unknowable events in the future, take risks and gamble.
    This year I started some fall crops too early and failed, like radishes, garden cress, beets and cilantro. And some seem to be paying off, like mustard greens, aurugula, garlics, chinese cabbage.

The outlook seems to be favorable for fall crops. Today we had a beautifull not-so-hot weather. Tomorrow I will plant my kohrabi seedlngs. I may throw in few seeds in between them, to see what will happen.

Have fun gardening.

Cyrus

• opal52
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cyrus, it's mostly a hobby for me also. I have tried things both too early and too late. Radishes last year. Just for fun, I started in late spring and they turned out completely inedible (bitter) so they went into the compost bin. A couple years ago I just couldn't wait and started tomato seeds in January. You can imagine I ended up with mature plants that had to be planted deep. That was the year I tried Brandywine tomatoes. Good experience, but they didn't taste all that good to me.

I started mustard greens early this year, and we are already harvesting them. They are a little on the bitter side now, but we like them that way so no problem. I also tried starting some chinese cabbage and pak choi early. So far, the seedlings are just sitting there pouting so maybe they will start growing with cooler weather and maybe I got by with the early start. Last week I started seeds for kale and broccoli raab. I hope to transplant those in a couple of weeks. I have tried growing beets before, both spring and fall with not much luck.

This year I tried growing watermelons for the first time. They turned out great and I really enjoyed watching them grow.

It's fun trying new things. And it does look like we may have nice weather this fall. I hope you have an abundant harvest and lots of fun with your garden.

Sponsored