Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it a weed?

Posted by fluffyflowers z8 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 12:19

Hi all. I started a lasagna bed a few months ago and there seems to be lots of weeds growing in it. I want to plant a tree (cryptomeria black dragon) in this spot in the next month or so and have several questions.

Are they weeds? Should I yank them out? Or are they plants that I should carefully take out and transplant? How do I stop them from returning?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

weed closeup

weed?

weed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it a weed?

Yes, those are weeds and the tree is especially a weed! That is "princesstree", Paulownia tomentosa, and it is a category ONE invasive plant in Georgia.

o

Holy cats! I'll be sure to rip that weed tree out of the compost heap and toss it straight into the trash bin as soon as I get home. Thanks so much!

Now, how do I keep those wretched weeds from returning? Should I go ahead and cover with newspaper & pinestraw and plant my tree?

o

Now, how do I keep those wretched weeds from returning?

Number one is: don't let them go to seed. Rip them out right away.

Number two: prevent any seeds from germinating. That can be done using a pre-emergent (preen is one) or using corn gluten (a non chemical approach). It would be helpful to figure out the name of the weed to determine when it germinates. It is tedious, but you could flip through the link below to try and find it. Or just assume that it germinates in the spring and follow instructions for spring germinating weeds.

Scratching up the area now with a hoe might get a bunch more to germinate and then you can kill them. Newly germinating seeds are easy to pick out or destroy by gently raking them out. In general, soil disturbance causes seeds to germinate because you expose them to light.

Perhaps someone else could chime in on the layer of plastic approach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Tech weed site

o

Thank you very much! I yanked them out and covered the area with grass clippings and newspaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here