Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevega_gw

Climbing rose recommendations

stevega
15 years ago

I would like to have a climbing rose cover a 5'x5'x8' arbor up here in Flowery Branch. The site has some slope and is high dappled shade in the morning and full sun in the afternoon. Clay soil that can be ammended. Long blooming is the most important attribute.

I would appreciate any recommendations?

Comments (8)

• aprilfool
    15 years ago

I recommend "New Dawn," a climbing pink rose that grows quickly. A full burst of blooms in spring and then it blooms some throught the year.

• stevega
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. The Antique rose forum has also been quite helpful and I think that I will try either Fourth of July, climbing Old Blush or Viking Queen. Does anyone have experience with these in Georgia?

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

from my experience, the old garden roses are best suited to our humid climate for being disease resistant. i refuse to spray for blackspot. check out this link for some personal testimony about rose performance in the south.
    i know they say 'pink dawn' repeats well but i can't attest to that. nice flush in the spring with a small repeat in the fall and gets blackspot.
    if i were looking for one to fit your needs, i might try one of these hybrid perpetuals, china or noisette roses listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: amy padgett roses

• comotion
    15 years ago

I have white dawn (white version of new dawn) and while I do love it, it's mostly a one and done for me, blooming around May 10th. Beautiful glossy green leaves though. I mixed mine with a confederate jasmine which helps to hide any leaf loss do to blackspot.

• stevega
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeff and comotion thank you for the recommendations and experience. Amy Padgett is a better site than several that I have seen because it has info for our area.
    Thanks again.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

had one other comment for you. i have just a few roses remaining that are garden-worthy after i quit using pesticides but 'sir thomas lipton' was my best ever for blackspot resistance. it simply never had a bit on any of the foliage. has a nice spring flush with a spattering later and very light fragrance to the white flowers. it grew as a free standing shrub with 8'+ long, strong canes so could be trained as a climber. bad thing about him is the thorns - they are vicious as it is a hybrid rugosa rose. if you are not sitting under the arbor, would not be a problem.
    (lost it to the drought a year or two ago but wouldnt' mind another one).

• atlantamand
    12 years ago

I have Rev d or on my big circle arbor. It blooms like crazy, never is bothered by blackspot... shakes it off... barely gets touched or watered and is still happy and grows like CRAZY! IT's a buff/warm peach color, and I've grown purple clematis through it. Easy easy. Does better than my New Dawns!

• mairenn
    12 years ago

I have Old Blush. the first year I was a little disappointed...it bloomed great in the spring with very little repeat...but by the third year it blooms frost to frost on and off. The smell is fabulous. The flowers are very bright. 5 x 5 x 8 might be a little small for it, though. It's up to my second story deck.

No care whatsoever. It gets a little naked around the knees by midsummer, but then re-leafs.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting