Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Queen (Tradescantia pallida) problem help ?!?

Posted by tony_atlanta (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 12:39

OK board mavens help me out here with my Purple Queen:
* Put in nice bed in the early summer
* Nice container grown plants from Pike
* Noticed when transplanting that a few of the runners were rotting off at the ground
* Thought this was overwatering at the nursery maybe
* Problem has persisted
* Every day I pull great handsful of dead runners; rotted off at the ground causing the runner to die.
* Bed is high and dry not overwatered - VERY careful about that

SO WHAT IS IT ???

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Queen (Tradescantia pallida) problem help ?!?

Check the rotted stems and ground areas for pinhead size tan spheres. It may be southern blight- info on internet. I'm not sure what species are affected.

o
Good suggestion, BUT ...

doesn't really look like symptoms of SB --- no white stuff around the rot. I did notice lots of sow bugs at the base.

o

If sow bugs are at the base my guess is that you planted it in very unammended red clay and the recent rains have had it rotting in the soil?

o

The substrate is indeed hardpan red clay, but I amended it with peat and processed manure - and it really doesn't seem unduly wet as the location is on top of a retaining wall. So who knows ?? I still think it is some bug or fungus that I imported with the purchase!

o

These plants like lean, dry soil and will rot if the conditions are too rich and moist. I would not use peat to amend clay soil because it holds moisture when wet and the manure provides a substantial dose of nitrogen, which the plant probably doesn't need or like. You would do better to amend the soil with a product like permatill or pea gravel, or even remove most of the clay soil and replace with a nice draining top soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here