Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson_atl

Pawpaws

jackson_atl
14 years ago

I've seen a few other messages about pawpaws, but I haven't yet found any information on where they fruit (not the plant) might be available in north Georgia (metro Atlanta?). Does anyone have any pointers on finding them? I know the season is just about to hit.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Your best bet would be a farm market that has local dealers attending. Normally pawpaw are not found for sale as they need to be eaten the day they are picked.

• jackson_atl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've tried around -- the people who run the really big one (south of Atlanta) say that they have never heard of a pawpaw, so there's no dice there. There are many smaller ones, but I haven't had any luck at any of the places I've called. Thanks for the idea, though. Does anyone know someone who is growing them?

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I know several people growing the tree, none have had any fruit yet. I want to plant a few...but I'm not sure I'd get any fruit. I've heard it can take up to 10 years to get fruit and anyone I know has trees less than 10 years old.

• ichoudhury
    11 years ago

I thought a graft like the the one I planted will fruit in 2-3 years. Anyway, at least I hope :)

Mine were just planted this season, so I may get enough to share with others after few season anyway ;)

• Stellabee
    11 years ago

If your talking about papaya (fruta bomba), it doesn't usually grow well here. You'd do better with a fig tree of some kind if you want fruit. I'm assuming you're talking about papaya though, so disregard if not...:-)
    By the way, I used to be able to throw papaya seed on the ground when I live in Florida and not even bury it-trees would pop up and produce fruit like crazy!

• crispy_z7
    11 years ago

To clear up name confusion, paw paw is a name used for two completely different fruit, it is used as a synonym for "papaya" which is a tropical fruit, and it is the common name of the asimina triloba, which is a temperate fruit growing in the South East USA.

I finally tasted some last year that a friend had found. They are extremely rare though, which is because of their short shelf life and lack of growers.

I'm growing my own trees from seeds.

• garedneck
    11 years ago

Visit the festival in Ohio or just order them shipped in the fall when ripe! http://integrationacres.com/story.html

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

The really big farmers market in Forest Park is not going to be the place to find Paw Paw. That is a commercial level market. Neighborhood farmers markets are a better bet. Someone told me there are occasionally paw paw at the Marietta Square farmers market. However, since the fruit must be eaten immediately after picking, it's just not an fruit that is often for sale here.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio