Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

ot: anyone in a garden club?

laylaa
15 years ago

I was kinda sorta mulling over starting a neighborhood garden club as a community pride sort of thing, but I am clueless what a garden club does. I'm not a "yard of the month" sort of person (at all), but would be more interested in birdscaping workshops, plant exchanges, maybe some exchange to help promote smaller local nurseries, landscapers or like business...thing of that nature. I've never even been in a gardening club. My neighborhood is very small, under 100 homes, so not a huge thing, but can anyone offer an tips at all on what may be involved?

Comments (4)

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

The attached link lists the name and address of the Garden Club of Geargia Membership Chairman, who can provide the details necessary to begin a new club and the names and contacts of existing nearby clubs.
    The Garden Club of Georgia consists of about 550 local garden clubs, with 16000 members. Not all local garden clubs are members of the statewide organization, nor is it a prerequisite for organizing a local club.
    There are advantages for a club to becoming a member of the statewide organization and automatic membership in the National Garden Clubs, as they are very active in promoting education, conservation and community involvement.
    Welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenClub of Georgia Membership

• laylaa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you, georgia-rose. I found some decent info and took a look at my local area chapters. I'm always interested in native wildlife gardening! I was hoping to start by holding a neighborhood plant swap for fall to generate interest but I've never even attended a swap myself so have no idea what would be needed to set up or how they run. But hey, how hard can it be?? :D

I should start by joining a local club myself - there does not seem to be one in my town but I'll begin making contacts from the information provided.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

If you like native wildlife gardening, then certainly join the Georgia Native Plant Society if you haven't already - native plants are at the heart of the native wildlife ecosystem. This book is excellent for those interested in native wildlife.

The next GNPS meeting is coming up Sept 9th (at Atlanta Botanical Garden). There is a new GNPS chapter forming now near Carrollton (and it is the first chapter outside the main organization).

Here is a link that might be useful: GNPS website

• laylaa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh_ga, thanks for the link. I seriously will have to try to get in on a plant rescue. That sounds like something one must do at least once in your life. In my own yard I am trying to make it wildlife friendly, so all resources help.

Sponsored