Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Fay, please come our way!

Iris GW
15 years ago

Oh, how I wish I could have some of that rain that poor Florida is having to deal with. They have too much and we have too little! My dirt is starting to develop cracks again (like last year). If they get much bigger then I'll be in danger of turning my ankle in one!

But it is lovely and cool today and the breeze is most welcome.

Did anyone see the article in the paper today about the areas east of Atlanta getting more rain due to the heat effect of Atlanta? Very interesting.

Anyway, let's all hope for some of that tropical goodness.

Comments (22)

• stevega
    15 years ago

We've got a better than 30% chance of rain for each of the next 10 days. Surely, we will get something. I'm not even going to bring an umbrella to Perennial Grace tomorrow-I don't want to be a jinx.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, do bring shoes you don't mind getting muddy. buford is right, the back area can be quite messy.

Be sure to tell us what you got!

• shot
    15 years ago

Hi ESH. Been wondering how the workshop & such went? Quite a responsibility.
    So far, we have picked up about an inch of rain. About ½ inch yesterday and same so far today. My bro-in-law in Jax emailed me some pics he took around his house which he has up for sale. He said waterfront property is worth more, but I reminded him that houseboats normally are not...
    Hope all is well.
    Shot

{{gwi:833466}}

• buford
    15 years ago

I felt some drizzle just before and it looks like it's finally moving up.

PLEASE PLEASE come here Fay!

• bloominganne
    15 years ago

I can hardly believe that Faye can be so close and yet so far from Atlanta! It's like she's going to go straight west from her present position and give us a bunch of wind but no rain.

I keep my windows in my car a cracked open hoping that my past record of getting rain in my car will attract some of that rain here. I know it's silly but desperate times call for silly measures.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, what a tease she is, that Fay! By the way, does this mean that Florida won't be bugging us for water for a while? (wink)

Shot, what a funny picture. He certainly was close to houseboat status.

One workshop yesterday, it was great! I felt like a student again, using microscopes and textbooks and everything. Another workshop this afternoon.

Been out watering this morning - some things are so dry they just can't wait to see if Fay will help us out. Got a zillion mosquito bites for my efforts.

• Tricia
    15 years ago

We had a real rain shower! I'd forgotten what they looked like. And then just as I was logging on here to crow about the rain - its stopped. It lasted all of maybe 10 minutes. I hope there is more!

• buford
    15 years ago

YEAH! She finally arrived! Some rain yesterday, so I quickly emptied what was in my barrels into other storage in anticipation of more rain. And it finally came. A nice soaking downpour that overflowed the barrels, so we had to run out and put the downspout back in.

It looks like more is on the way. Finally. It was getting a bit desperate out there.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have finally gotten some this evening as well. Hooray!

• shot
    15 years ago

Glad to hear that you 'northerners' are getting some rain from Fay. If their SWAG is correct then hopefully, you will be getting more. We got just a little over 3 inches of good soaking rain.

ESH, glad to hear the workshop went well, but I wasn't expecting anything less from you. Did you have the poodle skirt on??? OOPS,that was my generation... Would loved to have been there. Keeps you young and brain active.
    We still haven't had any noticable mosquitos, but lots of June Bugs after the rain.

Shot

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Poodle skirt? Now that would've looked odd indeed!

I just went outside and checked ... it looks like we could've gotten 3 inches as well overnight. All my buckets have huge amounts of water in them! And now more on the way? It must be Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one.

Hey Razorback, I hope you are getting some out of this; you are way overdue.

• ollierose
    15 years ago

While I really want and need the rain, I'd also like it if the contractor could have paved my driveway today. I've been driving my car in a mud pit for way too long now!

• shot
    15 years ago

ESH, sorry - bad joke. Just when you mentioned feeling like a student again.... I thought of the poodle skirts... yes... odd indeed.
    Glad to hear that you got some needed rainfall. Should perk everything up :)

Ollierose, I live on a dirt road and can sympathize with you.

Shot

• razorback33
    15 years ago

esh....
    Thanks for your concern! Have received several showers during the past day or so. Both rain gauges are broken, so I don't know how much fell. Haven't replaced them, since there was no moisture to measure! Suspect the total was slightly in excess of one inch, as my basement is collecting some water, which doesn't happen until an inch has fallen. Nice that the rain comes in showers, rather than a deluge, all is soaking into the ground and lttle, if any runoff.
    Regarding the article about excess rainfall east of Atlanta, due to the heat convection. Bad science, and a bunch of BULL! I am on the leeward side of Atlanta and any west to east frontal systems die over the city, if they make it past the AL state line, and I receive no rain. Have watched the RADAR and seen it happen with keenly disappointing regularity.
    Hope everyone is receiving some rain and I know the Flora appreciates it! Too late for some trees/plants. I heard a tree fall during the night. Was not one of mine and couldn't determine where it happened. Must have been in a wooded area nearby, as power was unaffected.
    Enjoy!
    Rb

• bloominganne
    15 years ago

RB, I've seen the same thing over and over again too.

Good news, though, I've gotten just over an inch in the past 2 days. I bought a National Weather Service 'approved' rain gauge a couple of years ago that can measure up to 10 inches. It's remained mostly dry, of course, for a long, long time.

• buford
    15 years ago

I think I had more than 2 inches. When I went out this morning, it was as if everything in my yard was saying 'AAAAHHHH!!!'

I hope we get a few more.

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

I can provide measurements! :)

Towards the south end of Grant Park (30312 zip), we rec'd 2.95" total in our rain gauge since the weekend. 2.5" of that rain occured since yesterday (monday) morning.

Apparently, this rain could go on for a couple of days, and I hope it does. I'm hoping the rain gauge eventually overflows :)

• moonphase
    15 years ago

We have gotten pounded today.News said 3 to 5 inches here in Dahlonega.3 tornados touched down in near by towns.Don't know the damage yet.Rain predicted for next few days also.I had to get out in it for a DRs. appt. and the wind was really up with all the rain.I wish I had my camera.I saw for the first time the big black form with the tail going across.It touched down just about the time I had gotten home,about 30 minutes away.But I am so thankful for the rain-except it makes my weeds so happy too-lol.
    I am going to have to get out tomorrow ,even in the rain to pick tomatoes.There are about a bushel of red ones that have to get picked.Hope all stay safe.
    Annette

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

well, capped out at 3.6 for the night. we will see if anything comes in the next day or two. i'm happy with this :) i've been neglecting everything the last week or three.

• woody_ga
    15 years ago

My rain gauge here in Woodstock is at 4.5". Not as low as the airport, and not as much as NE Georgia. But we love it!

• buford
    15 years ago

I think we had between 6-8 inches between Sat and this AM. And it's still drizzling. The best part was that it was mostly a slow steady rain, which meant minimal run off. My yard was so dry, we didn't even puddle up except for a bit yesterday when we had a brief down pour.

I think I'll go out this afternoon and fertilize my roses. I was holding off because I didn't want to stress them.

• old_man_by_the_sea
    15 years ago

Appears that the tropics have come alive again, after a very slow year in 2007, at least for the SE US.
    TS Gustav is churning across the Caribbean and is forcasted to make landfall in Louisiana. Hope they prepare well, so there is no repeat of Katrina! TD-Eight, soon to be TS Hanna, seems to be headed toward the SE coast, which means: I'M OUTTA HERE!
    There are 2 more tropical waves coming across the Atlantic behind these!

Here is a link that might be useful: National Hurricane Center -NOAA