Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graybird_gw

lantana

graybird
13 years ago

I had every intention of planting 20-25 Miss Huff Lantana plants this summer, but the heat became so intense that I had to postpone the plantings. What I am wondering about is what is the latest date that I could plant the Miss Huff and still have time for it to take sufficient root for it to make it thru the winter and emerge again next spring? It is mid August now and still to hot for me to prepare the planting site and plant. I live in Madison County just a little NE of Athens, Ga. Thanks, Ray

Comments (3)

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

Graybird, I think it should be fine. Maybe on a cool morning, you could get some of the holes ready and plant early in September. Fall is the best time to plant trees, shrubs, and perennials anyway!

Unless lantana has a specific requirement that I don't know about.

Maybe you could call your county extension office.....

Good luck!

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

"Miss Huff" is considered one of the hardiest lantanas and will usually act as a perennial in Zone 7b; however, I think you would be wise to start the plant outdoors in May rather than in September in order to give it sufficient time to develop a large network of roots. I doubt that starting "Miss Huff" in September will allow it sufficient time to establish itself well enough to survive even a warm Zone 7b winter, much less a colder than normal one. I would hate to have twenty-some-odd potted lantanas to take care of over the winter. But who knows? Maybe you'll be lucky, and the plants will sail through the winter if you do go ahead and plant them now. However, you shouldn't be surprised if they freeze because it's a little late in the year to plant a semi-hardy plant outdoors. I will say that I've had potted "Miss Huff" lantanas to survive a Zone 7b winter in black nursery pots exposed to the elements. However, this past winter a potted "Miss Huff" died from the cold.

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

"Miss Huff" is considered one of the hardiest lantanas and will usually act as a perennial in Zone 7b; however, I think you would be wise to start the plant outdoors in May rather than in September in order to give it sufficient time to develop a large network of roots. I doubt that starting "Miss Huff" in September will allow it sufficient time to establish itself well enough to survive even a warm Zone 7b winter, much less a colder than normal one. I would hate to have twenty-some-odd potted lantanas to take care of over the winter. But who knows? Maybe you'll be lucky, and the plants will sail through the winter if you do go ahead and plant them now. However, you shouldn't be surprised if they freeze because it's a little late in the year to plant a semi-hardy plant outdoors. I will say that I've had potted "Miss Huff" lantanas to survive a Zone 7b winter in black nursery pots exposed to the elements. However, this past winter a potted "Miss Huff" died from the cold.

Sponsored