Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Hardy Banana Trees in Georgia

Posted by celeste 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 14:25

Ok, I did a search and found over 3000 mentions of bananas, but nothing about planting them. So, can anyone tell me if they are understory or full sun trees? I do see them out in full sun, but would love to put the 2 I have in semi-shade. How 'bout it. Who's the banana tree expert out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Hardy Banana Trees in Georgia

They will survive but be very tall with few leaves. I also doubt you will have bananas. Anything other than Musa basjoo you will need to protect over the winter in order to get bananas.
Make sure your soil is well draining or the corms will rot over the winter.
I never protect my Musa basjoos. The bananas are not edible.
Orinoco is a good one. It takes a full year to 18 months to get bananas. When they do fruit you may have to cut the stalk off and let it ripen inside the house. Just not quite enough growing time in my area.
These were take over a month ago.
There is a 'Banana Forum' if you need more information.
Photobucket
Musa basjoo blooms
Photobucket
Musa basjoo blooms and bananas

o

WOW, even has fruit. Is that Basjoo?

o

Yes Alex it's Musa basjoo.

o

• Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 9:12

Boy, what a beautiful banana and a beautiful yard. Very well done!

o

This post was last made five years ago so I am inquiring the same. I live an hour eastward from the coast and it does freeze during the winter. We do have a pool, but no pool house. The ground is sandy and well drained for the most part and the front of the two story houses faces south, the pool is on the east side, a barn on the north side and the gardens t the north of the barn. We have a few old pines to the west of the property, they exceed 100 feet so it is possible they shade the gardens in late afternoon. We also have some pecan trees more than 50 years old to the North of the house. I read full sun, do not shade and drain soil well. So the quandary is where to plant for success and beauty. It will occasionally freeze during the winter so I suspect banana will not grow if the stalk is frozen back annually. Should I green house them to protect from frost? There is no heat attempt at the green house.

Here is a link that might be useful: bee blog with photo of gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here