Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom74

Need help with St. Joseph's lilies

gmom74
15 years ago

A friend gave me a few bulbs several years. I planted them in a south flower bed but they rarely bloom. They are nice large bulbs. How deep do they go and would some bone meal help in the holes? Should I add some other kind of amendment to the holes? I would like to just do individual holes rather than doing a whole bed at one time. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• gmom74
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, we got the tiller started finally and we were able to dig a bed after all- no individual holes. We went ahead and dug in bone meal and compost and planted the bulbs about 4 or 5 inches deep. Now we will see what happens next year. I don't know if they will bloom the year after planting or have to wait till the second year, but at least they are out of the area we are going to spray with brush killer.

• trudyjean82
    15 years ago

St. Joesph's lillies are the mother of all amaryllis so treat them as such an only plant them half way, half the bulb needs to be out of the ground. Mulch good with straw in the winter an they'll be fine.

• gmom74
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks trudyjean- no wonder the poor things never bloomed. I'll go pull them higher.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!