Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ally99_gw

Where to buy and when to start fall garden

ally99
13 years ago

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie gardener living in Athens. I had a very successful summer garden and would like to extend my crop-growing through the fall with spinach, broccoli, and maybe some potatoes. When do you all start your fall planting? Also, where in the world do you find seeds at this time of year? I've looked at Walmart and Lowes and they have nothing but empty shelves.

What are your favorite fall crops?

Thanks a bunch! Like many of you have stated in another post, I'll be VERY glad when the temps cool in a few weeks. This summer has been excessively hot, it seems. Ally

Comments (7)

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

I get frustrated about the absence of seeds in the stores as well! After having an experience like yours, I just learned to buy ALL the seeds I want --including those for the fall season -- in the spring. I just keep them in a dry place and use them when I need them.

That doesn't help you for this year, but it's something to keep in mind when you buy seeds next year!

:)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I just mail ordered tons of fall veggie seeds. Look in your local Ace hardware and see if they have Botanical Interest seeds. I'm pretty sure that the rep here in Georgia was going to start in Athens. She stocks as much as she can all-year. For stores that request it, she can manage a 12 months system. But you have to request this extra service. She stocked me 12 months because I had all the winter sowers in the city and teach 12 month gardening...however the store has now gone out of business!
    Home Depot had seeds when I was last there, but they are being kept in a very humid outdoor environment so I would think the viability may be lowered.
    We are starting to seed for greenhouse growing this week: cabbage, collard, brussels sprouts, broccoli...and they stay for 2 weeks before we start with lettuces & asian veggies (although I look at the extended forcast for breaking weather).
    Seeds that are directly sown, I start them in two weeks, and the quick crops two weeks (at least) later...but then again it depends on how much I'm still getting out of my summer garden.
    Certain fall crops I already have in. Fall climbing beans, southern peas...I've planted them already.

• scmatlanta_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Ally

Try Sally at Thyme after Thyme in Winterville, just north of Athens. She usually has a good selection of seeds and is very knowledgable. Cofers on the west side should also be able to help.

• ally99
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey guys. Our local Home Depot had a myriad of seeds. I'm surprised Lowes has so little.
    I bought spinach, broccoli, beans, and peas. So now the question is, should I go ahead and start these in pots? If so, should I put them outside in the shade or keep them indoors and at what point should I transfer them to my garden? Thanks in advance for helping a noob learn her way around. :-) Ally

• jeff_grows_his_own
    13 years ago

Thanks for asking my question for me ally99
    :o)

I am in toccoa, north of athens and I am not finding clear suggestions for when to plant spinach, lettuce, and broccoli into the soil.

Also, can we grow a fall crop of potatoes?

• ally99
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey neighbor Jeff! Broccoli takes a long time, 90 days to harvest, so it should be started, well, yesterday! :-) I was late starting my seeds too. I only planted them last week and we really should have started them a few weeks ago. I'm going to plant my spinach seeds the 1st week in September and plant more for the 2 weeks following. This is my first fall garden though, so I'm certainly no expert. :) ally

• urbanfarmer7b
    13 years ago

I'm in Atlanta. I plant brocolli and brussel sprouts around Sept.1 from purchased plants. If you start too early you run the risk of the plants bolting. On the fall vegetables you have to count backwards from the first frost date, somewhere in early November, I add about 15 days to what the seed pack says because you have to consider as it gets cooler things slow down. Two of my favorite fall crops are carrots and winter radish. With the carrots, you start from seed and keep them moist with burlap or a board for a few days until they germinate. And they stay in the ground all winter long (free refrigeration) and the greens are edible (in moderation - they have a strong taste). The other is winter radish, which looks like a giant white carrot with a nice crunch and mild radish taste. The radishes will rot after the firt hard freeze. On the brassicas, the cabbage loopers are brutal. I use floating row covers, but I might try Bt this year. Another good fall crop is garlic, which you plant in mid to late October and harvest in May. One last add on, cilantro and mustard which show up randomly in my garden throughout the fall, they seem to do well at this time. I'm planning my fall garden now as well! I just need more room.

Robert

Sponsored