Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laylaa_gw

Anyone know about park clean up projects?

laylaa
14 years ago

I use a small local park - Nix Bridge Park on Lake Lanier - daily. I keep hearing about what a poor quality area lake Lanier is for wildlife and agree on a lot of levels, but this park is great for it. Beautiful, perfect trees including a stunning box elder, oak, birch, dogwood, willow (good for bugs anyway) etc. Lot's of fantastic plants, and a lot of invasive plants. Kudzu is just hitting the edges of it in a huge alarming blanket, honeysuckle, privet, all the big names.

So I've been going nuts trying to find a way to sign up or get involved in any invasive plant removal projects in my area. I can't find any. I don't have a clue how to start one - anyone have tips?

I use this park so have the "give back" attitude, it's tiny, a couple acres, but the park is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, no volunteer ops listed (USA National Phenology Network) for invasive plant removal and no contacts for such work that I can tell. How does one contact the army anyway? Somehow I don't think going in with a bottle of brush be gone and lopping shears without speaking to someone is a grand idea. (that's a joke, okay?)

Dawson County Womans club did an awesome job on a wildlife area in another local park (see DCWC Awarded for Rock Creek Project) perhaps I should ask them for advice. Rock Creek is a county owned park though.

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Found a phone number for Nix Bridge, have you tried that?

Phone: 770-945-9531

That's the same number I found elsewhere listed for "Corps of Engineers".

Good luck, sounds like a worthwhile project. You have got to nip those invasives in the bud! Literally.

• laylaa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ran across that number but haven't tried it. I can be severely shy and tend to not be great at blind contact, but will give it a shot. It's not a big whoop project - I can take out invasives like a machine, lots of practice. There are church and social groups there often enough - very friendly, lots of great teenagers and I am absolutely positive they would help for a day.

Okay so none of these people recognize me, they know my soccer playing Great Dane and call him by name, come ask him to play.

There is button bush out the ears, serviceberry, it's beautiful. TONS and TONS of birds. Huge old oaks with a wall of kudzu 15' away. I can't stand it. The box elder is a work of art to me. I have until winter to arrange something, will work on it. Won't go through lakeside thickets this time of year. I know what lives there.

• laylaa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

just in case anyone has a similar question in the future:

I did follow up on this and email a request to volunteer or start a project at this park. The request was sent to the US Army Corps of Engineers Lake Sidney Sinclar Volunteer Clearinghouse. I received a rapid response with a specific contact name and phone number of someone who handles their park volunteers. It's a start.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Something else I would mention would be to contact Trees Atlanta. They have a volunteer program where they go into a natural forest area and weed out the invasives - privet, wisteria, kudzu, ivy, etc. I don't know if they will go as far north as Lanier, but at least one of the folks from TA could help you find an organization like this in your area OR help you establish it. Incredibly good people at Trees Atlanta!

• laylaa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you, satellitehead. I have not dealt with Trees Atlanta since they are so far from me, but I have certainly used their literature. They would be a good resource for advice if needed in the future. Someone from Natural Resources is supposed to get hold of me and I'll find out if they have wants I can assist with.

I will say that they have been very responsive and quick. Points to the Army Corps of Engineers and Park Rangers.