Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ollierose

Lily of the Nile and Ginger - Hardy Here?

ollierose
15 years ago

I just received lily of the nile and ginger as a gift and was wondering if they are hardy here? Or do I need to overwinter them?

I see online that they are hardy to zone 8/9, but I know that some plants are hardy here even though information about them says otherwise. I'd just like to make sure!

I don't usually like to plant things I have to dig up each year, so I'm happy to grow them in containers and bring them inside for the winter. I just don't want to plant them in the ground if I need to dig them up.

Thanks ya'll!

Diana

Comments (11)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

There are definitely some gingers that are hardy here (I used to have the Butterfly Ginger (Hedychium coronarium ) and it was so hardy that it was actually growing in size!) It is listed as zone 7.

Given it's increase in popularity, I would expect that lily of the nile (agapanthus) is hardy as well; but don't take my say-so just yet ... it may need a protected spot or extra mulching. Planting it near the foundation of a building helps create a microclimate that allows some plants to grow in a colder zone than they might.

Someone else should chime in on agapanthus. I don't have it in my garden ... yet.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I have had lily of the nile (agapanthus) for several years and they come back every year. I'm about 100 miles south of Atlanta. (not sure how similiar our temps are to yours).

Not sure about ginger. My B.I.L. is a landscaper and I can check with him.

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

Most Hedychiums are hardy in zone 7.
    Hedychium 'Elizabeth'

Hedychium 'DR MOY'

White butterfly ginger is also a hedychium Coronarium.
    Hedychium Coccineum 'Disney'
    Hedychium Gardnerianum (Kahili Ginger)
    Curcuma elata, Curcuma zedoaria, and Curcuma petiolata 'Emperor'.
    The soil needs to be well draining in the winter or the rhizomes will rot.
    Alpinia acuminata and Globba winitii that Lowes is selling right now are not hardy. Leave them in the pots and bring into a cool garage or someplace that does not freeze. Water very sparingly during the winter.

• ollierose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These guys are going in the ground then - thanks to all!

• amyta
    15 years ago

I have agapanthus here in Macon and it's hardy. Rarely blooms though for me. I have a ginger that I've planted both in shade and sun and I can't get it to bloom. It's been 3 or 4 yrs. Where should it be planted and how do I make it bloom? It's the beautiful fuschia one and was blooming when I bought it.

• davidcf
    15 years ago

I tried agapanthus years ago and it never rebloomed. So I gave up on that plant. I find that gingers require copious watering. My sister has butterfly ginger in her yard and it is totally shriveled. In any case, both plants are hardy in the Atlanta area.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Gingers actually will do with less water if they have only AM sun and later dappled shade. The leaf curl they experience is more from direct sun/heat than from lack of water. Mine grow in full, direct sun but in highly ammended soil that stays moist even in periods of drought due to increasing both the organic matter and adding minerals to the soil. So far I've had only two blooms but they were actually unusually early. Normally I get flowers from about next week on into November from various types of ginger.

GGG

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

I am in Roswell, and Agapanthus does very well here. Foliage is beautiful and healthy, though it would not bloom every year for me.
    ~Natalie

• User
    15 years ago

Agapanthus is supposed to be hardy to zone 7. Exploiting a really warm microclimate (south wall of a house) would help greatly I'm sure. An Agapanthus that won't bloom! What else is new! I have read that they really like a crowded root ball to initiate bloom, so don't be in a hurry to transplant. In terms of moisture, I've heard everything from keeping them moist in the growing season to letting them go really dry (one of those plants that thieves on benign neglect maybe). I have had somewhat better luck with the flowering of the more dwarf varieties. With respect to the ginger's hardiness, it really depends on the variety. I know that a popular greenhouse variety is cold hardy to about zone 7 (the variegated Shell Ginger--Alpinia). Good luck!

• ottawa_basjoo_z5a
    15 years ago

Greetings everyone. I live in Canadian zone5a (usda zone4a). I have successfully overwintered Agapanthus in the ground, at least 1 winter, however hasn't flowered for me yet. I have also overwintered many palms and musa basjoo and musa sikkimensis. I have pictures at www.webshots.com and search for Ottawa_hardy_tropicals

• willy12
    15 years ago

I just bought Lilly of the Niles at Home Depot. I always have had flowers. Sometimes few, amend the soil well.

Sponsored