Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_bochonko

Need plants/trees named Jane

Kathy Bochonko
13 years ago

Can anyone tell me any plants named Jane. A friend's mother passed away and her name was Jane. So friends and I want to buy her something to plant in memory of her mother. I know there is a Japanese Magnolia named Jane, but that is about all I have been able to find. Does anyone have any ideas? Or jsut soemthing with a mother connection?

Comments (5)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

There is...

an amaryllis (Hippeastrum) named 'Lady Jane'
    an anthurium named 'Lady Jane'
    a begonia (B. hiemalis) named 'Jane'
    a camellia named 'Sweet Jane'
    a daylily named 'Jane'
    a geranium (Pelargonium à domesticum) named 'Jane'
    a tropical hybiscus (H. rosa-sinensis) named 'Jane'
    a maple (Acer palmatum) named 'Jane'
    a tulip named 'Lady Jane'

for starters. I'm sure there are more if you wanna dig through Google a little.

• pam_3
    13 years ago

Hey Kathy, long time no see. I love the idea of using plants named for loved ones. I have plants with my kids' names in my gardens!

I went to Dave's Garden and plugged in the name in the Cultivar spot (on their plant search). It's fun. It's nice of you to do this for your friend.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Pam,

I thought about using PlantFiles on DG for this lastnight after I went to bed. I actually just got on here to see what it would pull up. To my surprise, it doesn't even pull up many of the ones I listed above, and with a quick skim-through I didn't see any new ones without another name attached (My guess is that something like 'Jane Cowel' isn't really going to work). PlantFiles is what you had in mind isn't it?

One other thing I thought about lastnight was a downside in using plants for this. A quick story to show my point...

When I was in highschool, I can still remember the time the next door neighbor came over the day of my parent's anniversary with a container of various plants in a windowsill pot. A note was attached that said something like (obviously, I don't work for Hallmark, LOL), "As you watch these plants grow and become more beautiful, may it remind you of your wonderful marriage." Well within about a month, the plants were dead as a doornail. I don't know what happened to those plants, but they went down hill quickly. I remember thinking it was so funny, but I don't think my mom shared my sense of humor about the situation. Sometimes using plants as a memorial doesn't work out as we hope.

• pam_3
    13 years ago

Brandon...yeah, that is a problem with the Plant Files. You could also do a google search with the words "cultivar" and "jane," but that would probably be too many other things. A person named Jane doing horticultural work and what not. I've used it with some success, tho.

I had a son named Evan and I purchased the Echinacea purpurea "Evan Saul" (also known as Sundown), and I've lost at least 3-5 of them. It's something that happens with plants. Whatever happens, the love is always there, right?

• chezron
    13 years ago

A beautiful Magnolia named 'Jane' with pink spring flowers would be nice.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus