Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayhh

Dalton Area?

kayhh
13 years ago

Hello everybody, from Northern Michigan. I recently interviewed with a Dalton area business and they want an on-sight interview. From way up here, it looks like it may be a good fit. We'll see. I've been looking for a job in the south, having had it up to here with 6 months of winter. Of course, one of the things I think about is how will my garden grow?

My main thing is culinary gardening; veggies and fruits and herbs, oh my! Any insight as to what I could expect if this job works out? I know it will be really different from my short-short season up here and that it will be a whole new learning curve.

Thanks!!!!

Comments (4)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Dalton is about half way between Atlanta and Chattanooga so I've been through it several times (but have not visited). You have the benefit of food gardening 12 months of the year by learning protective measures in cold weather (I build hoop houses for insulation, and add "heat sinks"). You can of course get started earlier.
    Drawbacks: the soil learning curve (depending on the soil in Dalton), and an increase in the pests which will be interested in your food gardening (it's sucking insect season right now), and probably more unusual weather variations. Although the weather in Northern Michigan has it's extremes and is as unusual as ours is this year, we just don't get the regular rains like you do.
    You will most likely be choosing different varieties of plants than you are used to choosing, the ones you enjoy now are great for spring and fall gardens, then you'll have a new roster to experiment with for summer!
    I came from zone 5a as well, there was a learning curve but it was fun (and still is!!!)

• opal52
    13 years ago

I spent the first 25 years of my life in Dalton. Like elsewhere in Georgia, there is lots of red clay to work on and sometimes rocky soil. Dalton sits in the foothills of North Georgia and and is very hilly. It typically gets a little more rain than the metro Atlanta area, but like GGG said, it is by no means regular. Because of the hills, flash flooding can be an issue. More a nuisance than a serious threat but something to consider when locating a garden.

Good luck with your interview.

• kayhh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I look forward to moving south, whether it is in Dalton for this job, or another. Wow. 4 seasons of fresh produce. Year round gardening. Heaven. I do hoop houses and cold frames now trying to extend my season as much as possible. I have no idea what a heat sink is, but am going to google it now.
    Kay.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I use milk jugs filled with water and bricks for heat sinks. Anything that absorbs heat and lets it off slowly. It helps!

Sponsored