Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A patriotic composition

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 19:56

I noticed yesterday that all 3 of these plants are blooming at the same time, creating a patriotic display.

The Red is Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), the white is spider lily (Hymenocallis caroliniana), and the blue is scutellaria (Scutellaria sp.).

Patriotic composition

Since the spider lily isn't very visible, here is a closer shot:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A patriotic composition

esh_
Very pretty combination!
Is that the Hairy Skullcap, S. elliptica? I don't have any of the Scutellaria species, they don't like me!
My Cardinal flowers aren't blooming yet, nor is H. caroliniana.
But found blooms on H. rotata(traubii) this morning, which surprised me, because it usually blooms earlier and I had given up on them for this year. My H. liriosme didn't bloom this spring, for the first time ever. Guess the drought is having it's effect on the wetland plants. My Sarracenia's are just surviving and produced very few flowers this year.
Thanks for sharing!
Rb

o
RE: A patriotic composition

Yes, I think it is S. elliptica. We have also found S. incana in Cherokee County, but I think this is the more common one. This one is actually growing in a 3 gallon pot and has been for two years. But it did reseed into the area around it, and I see a volunteer is blooming a few feet away.

My cardinal flower is actually pretty late. I went to a friend's house over by I-575 and his was much further along (and he has tons of it, I always get some seed from him). I had one lone plant elsewhere but I realized yesterday that the deer ate it! Even pulled the roots out, I found the remains on the ground. Dang it.

This is my second blooming H. caroliniana; the older one did not bloom this year. It has some yellow root beside it and that has taken over; I think I'll clear some of that out and see if it helps the lily regain it's confidence ;) .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here