Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
favorite combinations

Posted by bagsmom 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 19:58

Hey gang. I mentioned before that my garden out front is changing drastically - a big oak was removed next door. Now I have sun from about 9:30 to 3:00 - then shade.

This is a long perennial bed up against a 3 foot high stone wall -- bed has straight back side against the wall, and a curvy outer edge - from 4 feet deep to about 6 feet deep. Edged in rocks. It is really long -- probably 25 to 30' long -- runs along property line.

Do you guys have any favorite plant combinations that would be super cool? "Punchy" eye-catching combos? Our house is set a bit above street level, so passers by are looking up. We look down from our porch. We have a white house with a green roof and a purple door. Looking for shrub ideas, perennials, and even a tree or two.

I would love any suggestions! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: favorite combinations

I am not sure what you mean by "Punchy" colors - you like it bright?
I like Phlox Robert Poore, it's a long blooming late season eyecatcher mixed with purple ruellia. Sprinkle in some orange cosmos and bam! There's an eyecatcher all right :)

o
RE: favorite combinations

I am endlessly confused about how to combine things effectively. I have a lot of great plants, but don't think I have many really great combos, so I'll be watching this thread to look for ideas!

Here are some plants I have in sun that (i think) have a "wow" factor:

Small trees-
Vitex Agnus Castus (blue flowers)
Amelanchier (for fall color)
Grancy Greybeard
Japanese Maple
Cotinus "Grace" (lovely big purple leaves)

Shrubs-
Loropetalum (especially if your door is purple!)
Spirea "Neon Flash" (it really is neon)
Callicarpa americana (incredibly purple berries, starting in Aug)
Fothergilla "Mount Airy" (bottlebrush white flowers)
Weigela "Ruby Queen"

Perennials-
Echinaceas
Rudbeckias
Agastache (i have purplish "Tutti Frutti" and an orangey "Coronado")
Monarda "Cambridge Scarlet"

I have noticed that both yellow-orange Rudbeckias and pinkish Echinaceas look super against purple Loropetalums. That's about all i have for good combos!

The photos on the Cottage Garden forum give some great ideas for combinations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here