Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to propagate Snowflake Viburnum and Pink Fringe Lorapetalum

Posted by KathyGA_z7 Cumming (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 21:54

I am interested in trying some propagating-- Snowflake Viburnum and Pink Fringe Lorapetalum. I am assuming both can be done via softwood cutting, I read mention somewhere that I need to take a heel with the lorapetalum. Has anyone successfully rooted either of these? If so can you give a newbie step by step advice? What sort of medium. Can I still root some for in time for the fall trade? I am also hoping to root Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' will these three need different methods? I am still pretty new to propagation but I think it is fun. I have done a few hydrangeas and other easy ones like that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to propagate Snowflake Viburnum and Pink Fringe Lorapetal

I've rooted lorapetalum by scraping the underside of a limb and anchoring it to the ground with a rock. It layered quite easily that way.

Down here in Florida, we take semi-hardwood cuttings and use the liquid type rooting hormone, which is more successful with rooting shrubbery cuttings.

o
RE: How to propagate Snowflake Viburnum and Pink Fringe Lorapetal

I have had a hard time propagating most viburnums by cuttings and I am not familiar with the Snowflake, but the other responder was right about layering a branch on the ground. If you can keep it moist, you may have roots before the trade.

I have done the purple leaf lorapetalum successfully about 5 times out of 30. I hadn't heard about taking the heel, I will try that soon. I take semi-hard cuttings, dip in harmone and either put in good potting soil and "tent" it in plastic, or stick directly into the ground (mostly compost) by a mister. You won't have good roots before the trade. I usually wait about two months and then find just the beginning of roots. I lose most of mine at this point when I transplant them too early. The green leaf ones are a different subject. I have rooted those much more successfully and in a shorter time. And both take about two years before they begin branching and looking like anything but the cutting you began with--they don't lost their leaves during the process.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here