Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has any one tried Carlos Lantana?

Posted by girlgroupgirl 8 Atlanta (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 23:41

Carlos Lantana is a new introduction this year. Yellow and pink - a smaller size. Love it. Want one, but only if it's hardy.

What about cestrum parqui: hardy cestrum. Anyone growing it?

Anyone grow Gardenia WB Cole from Harps Farm?

And then there are a few trees I'd like to know if anyone has tried:

Cornus Floridata 'Pygmy'
and a smaller light pink/medium pink crepe myrtle. I'd like to have something that would echo the color of a pink butterfly bush.

And how about a white butterfly bush? Do you grow one that you really love?

Thanks,
GGG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has any one tried Carlos Lantana?

Well...GGG...don't know how I did that, but I responded to your post and it started a new thread. I'm sorry about that. Unfortunately, I didn't have any information for you, but was asking a question of you.

Sorry; Thanks!
Beverly

o

This is one old post but I bought a Carlos today and this came up in my google search!

So is it hardy? I didn't buy it with the intent that it was but with the plan to take cuttings in the fall.

o

Yes, Bumble, it's perfectly hardy. Mine is back for the 3rd year and it's 3x3 so far this year. Seems like that's the size it will grow. I find that the carlos return and bloom so much earlier than any other type.

o

That makes me feel better for paying eight bucks for a lantana! Thanks so much.

o

I would like it for the name, just because I was a teenager in the 70's. Can you post pics? I repeat those colors a lot. I did get one that color here this year, they don't really name things at the little nursery down the road. I put it in a mixed pot with pink gaura, pink/white/yellow tall and dwarf snaps, pink/yellow Asiatic lilies, and a few other things. I also used a traing white lantana, that I really don't like the smell of.

o

I bought a yellow/pink but I'm not sure it's Carlos.

I was going to make a Santana joke, but I guess it's named after him?

o
RE: Carlos Lantana photo

There's a photo of the bloom of Carlos Lantana on Grower's Outlet website. You can click on the latin name on the Availability link page for photos of most of the things they sell.

They have several varieties of lantana for $1.00 each this weekend. I was there today. They have many, but in very small pots and are only a rooted cutting. They are not labeled, so you need to know what the photo looks like so you get what you want. Or just buy one of each color combination, like I did. (Bought so much I'll be planting for a month.)

Some are quite long and leggy. Prune it shorter and root what you cut.

www.growersoutlet.com

http://www.growersoutlet.com/pages/availability.html

Grower's outlet is closing for the summer on Sunday, June 13 (this weekend). Opens again for the fall on August 19.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grower's Outlet card with photo of Carlos bloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here