Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant crape myrtles

Posted by jrmstar 7 Rome (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 6:44

Crape myrtles are on sale. Can I plant them now, or should I wait until spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant crape myrtles

Trees and shrubs are best planted in the fall. You can plant them now, but be sure to water them in Sept and Oct if we don't get adequate rain. Once November arrives, nature should take care of the job.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 15:56

Here's a link to a planting guide that may be of some help. Please email me with any questions or if you see anything about the instructions that could be improved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o

Brandon, thanks for linking to a page that states to fill the hole with native soil. I have been working with a professional tree outfit, and they are also beginning to utilize this strategy when in the past, they have not, necessarily.
It is important to choose the site carefully, the right tree for the right spot - instead of trying to force the wrong spot on that poor tree!

o

Honestly, I don't think Crepe Myrtles care. They're weeds in our climate. That is, like a Holly, it is almost impossible to kill one once you put it in the ground, and you can prune them to the ground after 2-3 months and they'll grow back from the base.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here