Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Cherry Trees Dying

Posted by forgotten Ellijay (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 7:23

According to the guy that cut some trees down last year I have some black cherry hardwood trees on my property. Problem is they all look like they are dying. I can't say any tree cutting has affected them. Some are isolated deep into the woods. In fact some look like they've been having problems for a few years. Anyone have similar problems?

North Georgia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Cherry Trees Dying

Correction on title..black cherry

o
RE: Wild Cherry Trees Dying

These are likely Prunus serotina trees and I must say that most of the ones I've ever had only look good in the spring. They tend to get attacked by various bugs (which is just natural) during the summer and then drop their leaves fairly early. They also get the condition that causes oozing and lumps on the bark (the technical term eludes me ...). That is to say, they are not "good looking" trees.

So, it's easy at this time of year to think they look awful and might be dying. I would just watch them come spring and make an evaluation then.

o

I wish mine had died on their own and saved me the cost of removal.

o

Thanks I'll consider what you've said.

Vroomp: If mine come down they'll be milled for furniture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here