Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

Is this a good plan for winter?

bagsmom
14 years ago

Hey folks -- y'all have heard about my giant bed in front - now going to be sunny instead of shady.

I planted it 10 years ago, and the soil hasn't been amended much - only with decomposed pine bark mulch -- which I know takes nitrogen out in the decomposition process.

I am thinking that after everything goes to sleep for the winter, I will do a nice layer of horse poo (that's what I want for my birthday - a truckload of doo doo), mushroom compost, and that sort of thing. Maybe top with some chopped leaves after the final lawn clean up.

What do you think? Would this be a good time - let the good stuff slowly break down and go into the soil over the winter???? Then plant some new stuff in the spring?

Any expert advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

YOU GOT IT!!! The only catch is to make sure the doo is not fresh, but composted. Even by spring it could be way to much nitrogen in there if it's not already got a head start. If you get it from the Atlanta APD stables, you can ask for the composted doo.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GGG - what is the APD?

My friends can't believe that I really, truly do want a truckload of poop for my birthday. They are saying "you will be mad if your husband actually gets you that!" NO! I will be ecstatic!

Thanks!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

APD might be Atlanta Police Department?

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Yup. I don't know where you are located bagsmom, but the APD has free poop!
    Fresh stuff in the front, you gotta ask for the aged stuff they save out back.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I think that adding manure (even not fully composted) in the fall to your garden should do fine. What I would do is to spread it, add a layer of some fall leave(preferably chopped my mower) on it, and turn it or till it. This way the worms and micro organisms will get busy and by the spring planting time the soil will be fine.
    I do not get free horse poo but I rake a lot of leaves.
    Last year I fished all the earthworms that I could find from here and there and put them in my garden. Now they are there waiting for more leaves.
    So any fall plans like these are better than no plans at all.
    Also, I will add some lime to raise the PH, and some gypsum to break down the red clay also.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

APD - duhhhhhh. I should have figured that out on my own! Thanks everyone! I'm excited!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Horses are animals with one stomach. Animals who digest with one stomach are usually recommended to have their fresh feces well composted before using in a garden, especially for food, but also in case you are touching the soil with your bare hands. Spreading uncomposted manures can lower the temps at which the nitrogen in them burns and so they don't burn any nasty organisms hot enough. They may not be fully composted by planting time. So I really do recommend you use pretty well composted poo just to be sure.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert